If you suffer from plantar fasciitis, then you ought to be ready for a few changes in your life. You have to be prepared to change your lifestyle and most importantly, change your shoe collection. The brutal truth about this condition is that close to 90% of all the shoes at the shoe store will only make the pain worse. Yes, that is true, and do not let that crafty storekeeper dupe you into buying shoes which might not help your situation.
If you are an avid runner, running on standard shoes will only worsen your situation. Moreover, running as you used to do before you started experiencing pain would have to be toned a little bit down. The fact is, for someone who is used to running, being kept at home and told not to run will even cause them much pain. However, all hope is not lost.
The advancement in the fashion industry has also seen a close relationship with the health sector. There are now various brands of shoes any patient suffering from plantar fasciitis can benefit from. Having them, one can go about their daily routine with minimal pain felt.
So what exactly is this plantar fasciitis, and how do you pick the right shoes? Get more details in this comprehensive post for the 10 best sneakers for plantar fasciitis and buyers guide.
Are Plantar Fasciitis Shoes Necessary?
Plantar fasciitis is a condition which occurs when the plantar fascia region has been damaged. The fascia is a thick band of tissue which connects your foot with your heel. It is the part of the foot responsible for giving you stability, and also supports the arch of your foot.
Whenever this tissue is damaged, hurt, strained, or irritated, it can lead to plantar fasciitis. Many people who suffer from this condition experience general pain in their feet, especially in the mornings. The pain can range from mild, moderate, or severe. Apart from the pain, other symptoms of this condition include;
- There are stiffness and soreness in the foot; mostly experienced in the heel and arch
- Burning or tenderness in the sole of your foot
- Difficulty going up and down stairs
- Tight calf muscles
Treating plantar fasciitis involves moderate to extensive stretching and physical therapy. This can be done at home. One can also use ice to calm down the pain during flare-ups. With the right treatment, the pain is said to subside gradually before fully recovering.
During the recovery period, it is advisable to stick to doctor recommended plantar fascia shoes alone. This is because they have all the features necessary to help in pain reduction, therapy capabilities, and you will be able to go by your daily routine without worrying.
Picking the Right Plantar Fasciitis Sneakers
If it is your first time looking for the best sneakers for plantar fasciitis, you can get overwhelmed by the significant number of options available. With so many brands to choose from, different designs, and varying opinions from everyone, it can take you ages picking the right shoes.
Here is a filtering mechanism you can use to pick the right sneakers for your condition. The same formula can also be used while searching for the best slippers for plantar fasciitis.
- Good arch support
- A deep heel cup with an adjustable cushioning
- Adequate cushioning to help in absorption of the impact when walking or running
- The shoes should be flexible, but they should also bend gradually and offer some bits of resistance.
- Wide toe boxes
- Cushioned footbeds for extra comfort and support
Overall, look for shoes which fit your feet snugly without straining much. The insoles can also be removable for you to insert your custom orthotics, not unless they are in-built.
Top 10 Best Sneakers For Plantar Fasciitis In 2019
1. Nike Men’s Air Monarch Iv Cross Trainer
Nike is probably one of the most popular shoe brands in the world. Whenever you hear about the original Nike shoes, you will not get concerned about their durability. The brand has made a name for itself in the sporting arena with some of the most comfortable shoes for sports people.
They have gone a notch higher, to make shoes, ideal for those suffering from plantar fasciitis. The Air Monarch IV comes with a non-marked solid rubber outsole. It provides excellent traction and a firm grip on the ground, regardless of the terrain you are walking on.
The midsole is made from an EVA Phylon material and foam to support the wearer at every stride. A cushioned and lightweight effect is also gotten from the shoes, thanks to Nike Air technology. The leather material used in making the shoes says it all – you will have these shoes with you for a long time. The material, however, compromises its breathability.
This is not a primary concern though, as Nike does not market the Air Monarch IV cross trainer as running shoes. There are perforations on the material to keep the feet fresh so that you could jog for a while with these shoes.
The fabric lining offers more comfort to those affected by plantar fasciitis, making it ideal for all-day wear.
- Human-made shoes, with attention to every detail
- Lightweight gym shoes
- Foam Phylon midsole for extra support
- Full-length encapsulated sole unit cushions for superior comfort
- Perforations on the leather upper for convenient air flow
- Offers excellent support to patients who have arthritis, diabetes, and plantar fasciitis
- The fit is true to size
- Comfortable enough to be worn the whole day
- Roomy to accommodate those with wide or swollen feet
- Quite affordable
- The outsole might not be very durable
- Breathability is a significant concern with these shoes, making them not ideal for running
- The laces are a bit short. They could be longer
2. Adidas Men’s Gamecourt
The Adidas gamecourt is a more streamlined update to the barricade court. This model has a more supportive and mesh upper, which is reinforced with TPU. The Bootee construction supplements all this, snugly molding the upper part of the shoes. This makes it possible to fit in the shape of your feet without much struggling and keeps you locked in while moving.
The midsole is injected with cloud foam molded EVA, offering super plush cushioning for superior comfort. In a full herringbone tread pattern, the Adiwear outsole provides you with a much better grip and traction control.
Moreover, it is thick enough to absorb the impact gotten from sporting activities, making these shoes ideal for people suffering from plantar fasciitis.
- TPU-reinforced mesh upper
- Cloud foam adds underfoot cushioning and absorbs shock
- ADIWEAR 6 rubber outsole gives you excellent grip and performance on any court surface
- Lightweight with TPU mesh uppers
- ADITUFF for great toe protection
- ADIWEAR for exceptional durability
- Rubber sole for great traction
- Bootee construction
- The shoes are wide enough but do not provide enough arch support as many in this list would
3. New Balance Men’s Cruz V1 Fresh Foam Running Shoes
New Balance has over the years been on the frontline to develop newer shoe models to runners while incorporating new technologies. The New Balance men’s V1 fresh foam running shoes were well received by the majority of runners. This is because of their comfort and responsiveness. It does not end there.
These shoes have been proven to be of great help to those suffering from the pain of the inflammation of the plantar fascia. With a plush cushioning and a smooth heel to toe transition, this shoe provides more support to your feet. Moreover, the premium fresh foam technology from New Balance, which is a combination of synthetic midfoot saddles and a breathable upper mesh, makes them soft and responsive to your feet.
The breathability functions of the shoes are impressive, meaning you can run for miles with them while your feet are kept cool and dry all the way.
- Fresh foam midsole
- Removable insert
- Easy to put on or take off
- Knitted mesh uppers provide extra breathability options
- The upper part is quite smooth
- The fresh foam midsole offers more comfort to plantar fasciitis patients
- Great fit keeps the foot in place even while running
- Sleek design which comes with a variety of colors to choose from
- Excellent breathability
- May run a bit larger
- Some people have complained that the upper part is not quite durable
4. Ryka Women’s Devotion Plus 2 Walking Shoe
The devotion plus 2 walking shoes from Ryka turns out that it is not just stylish but also has very efficient arch support mechanisms. The sneakers come with an anatomically precise footbed to offer superior arch support to the wearer.
There is also an EVA lightweight midsole which offers comfort and helps alleviate pain for all the women suffering from plantar fasciitis. It is also beneficial for those who have arthritis and diabetes.
The outsole has a rubber pod network to help it in shock absorption. A breathable mesh with synthetic overlays is present on the upper parts, making your feet stay cool, all day long.
- The shoes have plush cushioning to help improve on their shock-absorbing capabilities
- Comfortable insoles and interior ideal for high-impact activities
- Provides enough arch support to plantar fasciitis patients
- Ortholite insoles
- Quite flexible
- Come with an 8-piece skeletal construction
- Advanced arch support
- Not very ideal for trail running
5. K-Swiss Women’s Hypercourt Express Tennis Shoe
These hypercourt shoes for women by K-Swiss have ample room for wiggling your toes around, providing you with quite impressive comfort. Everything from the design concept to practicality makes these shoes some of the best running shoes for women with plantar fasciitis. The extra cushioning in the footbeds and heels make ideal for any woman suffering from pain caused by the inflammation of the plantar fascia.
One of the very first things you will notice when you set your eyes on this masterpiece is the lovely design. It is not only appealing in design, but it also comes in different colors to suit the needs of any woman out there. The midsole section has special padding to keep your feet supported and comfortable at all times.
Furthermore, the thick soles and padding on the heels have fantastic shock absorbing abilities. That way you can play tennis, or whichever other recreational sports you take part in, without agitating the painful areas. The DuraWrap technology on the upper parts provides you with you stiffer feel, making the shoes more secure and adding to the comfort.
- Extra cushioning on the footbeds and heels
- Special padding for advanced shock absorption
- Comfortable materials
- Aosta Rubber Outsole
- Different color options available
- Synthetic material construction
- Human-made sole for better shock absorption
- Slightly expensive
6. Adidas Men’s Barricade Club Tennis Shoe
With a natural, low-profile design, the Adidas men’s barricade club tennis shoes offer you plush comfort. For all your needs, whether recreational, casual or more formal wear, these tennis shoes have you covered. In terms of performance, these shoes will go way beyond your expectations.
The ankle and extra arch support helps those with plantar fasciitis with more comfort and also helps in the prevention of injuries. The premium design, with a wide variety of options to choose from, makes it a favorite shoes for people who have different taste.
Furthermore, these shoes have an extra thick sole which offers superior shock absorption, making them ideal for sporting activities for those with foot pains. The upper parts have a lightweight air mesh to keep your feet fresh, regardless of the intensity of the action you are taking part in.
- Thick rubber sole for superior shock absorption
- Highly breathable tennis shoes
- The Adituff wraps which are found near the toe area are abrasion-resistant.
- Protects against foot drags during a game of tennis
- 360-degree TPU support foil for durability in key abrasion areas
- Superior lateral stability
- Lightweight EVA midsole
- 3D Torsion provides an adaptive midfoot support
- High-quality imported materials used in construction
- The shock absorption capabilities are impressive
- Low profile design
- The insole is removable for thorough cleaning and can be changed if need be
- The shoes might feel a bit bulkier than other competing brands
- It has delayed flexibility. It might take a while before the shoes become fully broken into
7. NIKE Men’s Court Lite Tennis Shoes
For a no-nonsense avid tennis player, whose dreams seem to be cut off by plantar fasciitis pain, the Nike men’s court lite tennis shoes are for you. With enough comfort and stability, you are sure to contain any pain whatsoever and enjoy your game.
With excellent breathability, impressive shock absorption capabilities, and long-lasting materials, these shoes are just trendsetters. The looks are, however, not something to look so much forward to as they are only ‘standard.’
- Leather combined with mesh provides a durable and comfortable upper
- Mesh tongue for improved breathability
- Full-length Phylon midsole offers a lightweight extra cushioning and offers stability
- An additional layer of padding at the toe area for abrasion resistance
- GDR outsole for durability and improved traction control
- Durable materials used
- Breathable uppers to keep your feet cool and dry
- GDR outsole for grip and stability
- Phylon midsole offers arch support while providing you with utmost comfort
- The design is not much pleasing to many users
- Some users have complained of the size running down
8. Orthofeet Sprint Comfort Orthopedic Men’s Sneakers
Many men prefer walking from one place to another, at least once in a while. However, if you are suffering from plantar fasciitis, this can limit your movement, due to the pain. Your frustrations will soon come to an end thanks to the sprint comfort orthopedic men’s sneaker from Orthofeet.
Boasting of unmatched and superior arch support, these sneakers provide help to all men suffering from not only from plantar fasciitis but also from diabetes and arthritis. A premium synthetic upper is also part of the shoes, with a cushioned collar to provide you with the best support and superior comfort.
The toe box is spacious enough, allowing your toes to move freely without any problems. Breathable fabric is found in the interior. This mainly works to wick the moisture away, making your feet comfortable at all times. As if that is not enough, the footbed is well-cushioned to help you walk all day without experiencing any discomfort or pain.
The innovative bottom helps in relieving pressure from your feet as it propels you forward. Such a creative feature ensures that the pain from your feet up to the heels and backs is significantly reduced.
- Made from durable leather
- Premium orthotic insole with anatomical arch support and cushioning heel pads
- Lightweight sole with air cushioning
- Non-binding upper with extra depth design
- A wide toe box to eliminate pressure on bunions and hammer toes
- Soft, seam-free interior lining
- Breathable interior fabrics
- Well-cushioned footbed
- Limited choice of colors
- Quite pricey
9. Gravity Defyer Women’s G-Defy Mighty Walk
One of the most popular reasons why people buy these types of shoes is because of how roomy they are. That is precisely what the Gravity Defyer women’s G-Defy mighty walk shoes are all about. You will never feel your feet being constricted to a small area.
There is also enough room for you to wiggle your toes around. The cushioning holds up well, offering superior comfort and support to the wearer. The outsoles of these shoes are pretty thick. Their shock-absorbing capabilities are awe-inspiring, meaning you can freely walk on even rough terrains without having the impact hitting your feet.
The insoles are okay, and nothing very much particular about them. However, they are removable, unlike many other sneakers in the market. This makes it possible for you to exchange them for better ones if need be.
- Built with VersoShock Technology which is a patented spring system with superb shock absorbing capabilities
- Diabetic neuropathy to help prevent irritation
- Seamless interior made for those with sensitive feet
- Removable insole
- There is a front rocker sole which has a supported midfoot to assist in the prevention and relief from plantar fasciitis
- Extra toe box to wiggle your toes around
- Extra roomy with more than enough space to wiggle your toes
- They look great with different choices available, unlike the many therapeutic sneakers in the market
- Superior feet cushioning, offering comfort to plantar fasciitis patients
- Thick sole for shock absorption
- These shoes are not ideal for running, because breathability is a primary concern
- They are a bit bulky
10. Vionic Women’s Kona Fitness Shoes
The price tag on these shoes might make one question their functionality. This is because they are quite affordable, unlike many therapeutic shoes in the market. For starters, these shoes are actually more durable than you would expect. The EVA midsole, which has been raised a little bit provides sufficient arch support from anyone who has arthritis, diabetes, and plantar fasciitis.
The Vionic women’s Kona fitness shoes are, however, not built for extremely high arches. They work entirely well for slightly raised arches. The insoles which come with the shoes provide ample heel support. They are ideally made to cater to those people with pain on the feet, heels, and all the way to the back. There is plenty of space in there. Even if your feet are swollen, you will not feel them constricted or confined.
- Thick rubber sole for shock absorption
- Has a mesh upper
- Comes with a removable footbed
- Excellent support for high arches
- Offers comfort to swollen feet
- Quite affordable
- Long-lasting shoes
- Decent insoles which do not necessarily have to be replaced
- A limited color combination which may not be appealing to many
- The shoes might need breaking into as the materials used are pretty stiff
Plantar fasciitis is not a life sentence; it is just a temporary condition which can happen to anyone. Do not let it ruin your daily routine. Pick the right shoes, and you will overcome the situation. Do not get duped out there while picking the right shoes, use our guide and list to get the best sneakers for plantar fasciitis in 2019.