Do you wonder if you can cash a checks at Walmart? Wonder no more because in this review, we shall discuss whether Walmart does cash personal checks. We have also discussed if it does, what types of checks does the store cash? We shall also discuss the cashing fees and everything else that you need to know about Walmart cash checking process, if so, read on!
Walmart is a household name in the United States with a very interesting fact that 9 out of every 10 people live within 15 minutes any branch of the giant store. This means that it is easier and faster to access any near by Walmart store if you want to quickly convert your check into some bucks.
So, let us get on with the review.
Process To Cash A Personal Checks On Walmart
As earlier stated, 9 in 10 people live within 15 minutes of a Walmart store which makes cashing a check very convenient because of the accessibility of the stores. Another good thing is that you can cash your check as you do your grocery shopping.
So, can you cash your checks at Walmart?
Yes, it is quite possible to cash your check at this store and the good thing is that you are not required to have a checking account neither a saving account.
Type of Check You Can Cash at A Walmart Store
There are several types of personal checks to cash from Walmart. Below is the list of the type of checks that you can cash.
- Pre-Printed checks
- Retirement disbursement checks and 401(k) checks
- Payroll checks
- Insurance settlement checks
- Government checks
- Tax checks
- Cashier checks.
- Money Gram Money orders among others.
Yes, Walmart does cash personal checks but there is a restriction. The check has to be a two-party personal check and the maximum cash limit is $ 200.
Personal Checks Cashing Requirement at Walmart
Make sure that you have all the documents required to cash a cheque/ Check
- The very first thing you need to do in order for your check to be accepted is to endorse it. You endorse your check by signing at the back where there is a designated space for this very purpose. Make sure that the signature at the back of the check is exactly the same as the one at the front. If the two signatures differ, you will have a problem while cashing your check.
- Another important thing is to ensure that you verify the authenticity of the party that has issued you the check. May it be an individual, financial institution or a company?
- Make sure that all the information on the check is accurate. Confirm details like the payee names, the amount in words correspond to the amount in numbers and other similar details. Also make sure that the check is signed.
- The next step is to go into the Walmart store that you want to cash your personal checks from. Remember, before you can cash any check you will need to produce a government identification document. The document must have your picture on it. Therefore, make sure that you have your passport or your government issued ID.
- Also take care of the check to avoid wrinkles, tears and smuggles. If the check is all beaten up and rugged, then it becomes difficult for the Walmart scanner to recognize it.
Where Exactly Do You Cash Personal Checks Once You Are Inside the Walmart Store
Once you are inside a Walmart store, you can cash your check at either the Customer Service counter or at the Money Center counter. If your cash is in the thousands, then it is advisable to head to the above stated counters.
However, if the amount is not as much, then you can cash it at any checkout lane. If you want to pay for your shopping and cash your check at the same time at the counter, explain your intentions to the cashier. By doing so, you will make it easier for the cashier to serve you better and faster.
At times, the check cashing at the checkout counter might take longer than expected. If this happens, be patient since it is hardly the fault of the cashier.
How Much Will You Be Charged To Cash Personal checks at Walmart?
There is a different charge for a pre-printed check and a two- party check
How much do you pay for pre-printed checks?
It is very affordable to cash your check at any local Walmart store. The fee that you spay depends on the amount that you want to cash.
- For instance, if you have a check of up to and including $ 1,000 you will pay a cashing fee of $ 4.
- If you have a check of over $1000 and is up to and including $ 5,000, you will pay a cashing fee of $ 8.
How much do you pay to cash a two-party personal check?
As with pre-printed checks, cashing a two-party personal check is also affordable as the fee is based on the amount that you want to cash.
- Remember that for two-party personal checks, Walmart only accepts $ 200 or less. Therefore, for a two-party cash, you will pay a cashing fee of $6 or less depending on the amount.
- If you want cash advances on your Bank card, then you will pay a transaction fee of $ 3.74 and the advance is limited to $ 1000 per day.
- The normal check cashing maximum is $ 5,000 apart from two -party checks. However, from January to April, the company raises the limit to $ 7,500 to accommodate tax refunds.
Is It Cheaper to Cash Personal Checks at Walmart Compared to A Banks?
Comparing which is cheaper-cashing at Walmart or at the bank is a bit tricky. The main reason for the difficulty in comparison is that it depends on a particular bank and the amount in question. Some banks cash checks for free while others charge a fee based on a certain criterion.
If you are cashing less than $ 50, it is better to cash the check at a bank. Most banks do not charge for a small amount even if you are not a member. However, if you are cashing more than $ 50, it is cheaper to cash the check at Walmart than at a bank where you are a non-member.
Another reason you might choose to cash your check at a Walmart store is due to their favorable hours. Most banks operate from 9AM-5AM and if you are to cash a check you must do it during this time. However, at Walmart you can cash your check at any time provided the store is open and you meet the requirements.
How Are Funds That You Cash Out Paid?
You can either receive your money in cash or the money can be loaded on a Walmart Money Card. The store charges a $ 3 fee for reloading the cash card. But when you load it through check cashing, this fee is waived.
Note though that you still be charged the cashing fee. If you want a Walmart Money Card, you can purchase one at any checkout lane. However, if you want to avoid the issuance fee, order the card online.
It is possible to cash a money order from Walmart but it must be from MoneyGram and it must have been purchased at Walmart as the store will not cash MoneyGram money order purchased from anywhere else.
So, What Is a Walmart Money Card and Can You Load It with Cashed Check?
For better understanding, let’s make a brief explanation of this money card. At times you might cash your check from Walmart but you do not want to carry money around. This is where Walmart Money card comes into play. Walmart card is a prepaid Visa card which you can use at any outlet that accepts Visa.
In order for you to receive the Money-Card, here is what needs to do:
Provide information including your name, address, and your date of birth, your social security number, and a government issued identification document – an ID or a passport. To receive the card, you have to be 18 years and above. However, you can also get it if you are 16 but you will need parental consent.
However, the card has some fees that you pay during application. These fees include an issuance fee of $ 1 when you purchase the card at a store. But you can avoid the fee by ordering your Money Card online.
You will also be charged a reloading fee ranging from $ 3 to $ 5.95. However, you can avoid the reloading fee if you use your cashed check to reload your card. The card also has a maintenance fee of $5 which is payable every month. Reloading the card is pretty straightforward and is also easy since you can reload it at any Walmart store. You can also reload it using a check.
Note that you can reload your prepaid card with a personal check using a checking app. And you can also reload the card through direct deposits, bank transfers, tax refunds and through Walmart check cashing.
Walmart Check Cashing Hours
You can cash your check at any Walmart store provided it is open. Most stores are open between 8:00AM to 8PM from Monday through Saturday and from 10AM to 6 PM on Sundays. Find near by you Walmart store from Walmart Store Finder : www.walmart.com/store/finder
As stated above, Walmart is a very popular store and has many branches all over the country. The best news is that you can cash your check in any of these stores. This makes their services more convenient.
The checking process is also quite simple as all you have to do is present your check and within a few minutes you will receive your cash. Cashing at the store is convenient since you can get your cash even if the banks are closed. Walmart also has a prepaid Visa card whereby you can load your cash instead of carrying it around. So what are you waiting for?