Buying a home is important as it gives us security and identity. It is the door of durable and momentary financial success. Holding a home can help you to build personal wealth and the ability to make a vast difference for your financial future, especially for a first time home buyer. For instance, becoming a homeowner still a dream in most people because it is the highest financial investment. In this case, you have a good option to buy a home by taking a home loan. There are many mortgage lenders who provide first time home buyer loans but you need to maintain a good or better credit score.
But, if you have a bad credit history and have no savings that mean unable to put down payment in this case, what should you do? Many possible buyers think about what amount they will need to save in order to obtain a home loan. Because twenty percent down payment for first time home buying seems the goal of buying a home is out of reach. But do you know it is possible to buy a home with bad credit even without a down payment or zero down? Fortunately, you are not out of luck.
In this article we will discuss the overall concept of first time home buyer loans and how can you get this loan with bad credit and without any down payment. Also, discuss some options to get a loan with bad credit and without a down payment.
Bad Credit and Zero Down meaning
- Bad Credit: A bad credit actually means a person or company failing history to pay the bills on time. Even they will fail to submit payment in the future. It has mostly appeared as a low credit score, generally under 580 on a scale of 300 to 850, and these scores are calculated by a Payment history, Length of credit history, Amount owed, new credit, and types of credit. A person or individual with bad credit is considered riskier than other potential borrowers and they find difficulties when they need to borrow money.
- Zero Down: The zero down means no payment required also called no money down. It is a home buyer loan that allows you to get a loan without a down payment and it is the first payment you make unto the home. Generally, a Zero down mortgage will require a higher credit score and may have a higher interest rate. The lenders usually calculate the down payment based on the total amount borrowed.
First time home buyer loans with bad credit and zero down or no down payment
Are you looking for first time home buyer loans with bad credit and without a down payment? It is tougher to prepare to get a loan if you have less excellent credit and unable to pay down payment. The reality is that not everyone has perfect credit score even no savings for a down payment. Because of this, it does not mean that you have to give up your dreams of buying a home. Rather, you have the option to get loans as a first time home buyer with bad credit and zero down payment. Here are the options:
Option 1: VA Loans (Veterans Affairs)
If you have a credit score of 580 or less and no savings for a down payment you might eligible for a VA loan if you are an active duty service member, veteran, or the spouse of a deceased veteran and member of the National Guard. This loan offers many benefits for first time home buyers. Although VA loan does not set any standard required credit score some landers consider this credit score starting at 580. But most lander’s minimum requirement is 620 to qualify for a VA loan. There is no down payment required for a Veterans Affairs loan. It allows veterans to get financing through no down payment and also there is no mortgage insurance necessary for a VA loan. This loan also allows you to pay a one-time VA funding fee that helps to balance taxpayer cost and it is 2.15% of your loan amount.
Eligibility Requirements for VA loan
- Worked 90 successive days of active service during wartime.
- Worked 181 successive days of active service during peacetime.
- Worked for more than 6 years in the National Guard.
- Spouse of a duty member who died in the line of duty or from a duty-related defect.
Option 2: FHA Loans
FHA loans are the perfect home loan for first time home buyers and easy for buying a home with bad credit. If you have a credit score at least 580 you will be qualifying for an FHA Loans by lower down payment as low as 3.5%. FHA loan allows those who maintain a credit score of less than 580 by increasing the down payment of 10%. If you want to get a home loan without a down payment, in this case, FHA loan can be a zero down loan if you obtain gift funds from an ideal source to cover the 3.5% down payment.
You can receive this gift from a family member, church, non-profit, employer, eligible down payment gift source, and nonprofit. For instance, buying with FHA you do not need your own money if you are able to find a source for the gift. FHA loans also provide a higher DTI ratio compared to conventional loans. Therefore, it ideally provides first time home buyer loans.
Eligibility requirements of an FHA Loan
- 580 FICO credit score with a 3.5% down payment
- 500-579 score requires a 10% down payment.
- 43% maximum DTI ratio with 2 years of stable employment history at the same company.
- No late payment in the past twelve months.
- Must be the borrower’s primary residency.
- 2 year waiting period for bankruptcy people.
Zero down payments: The USDA Home loan (100% financing)
You can also consider USDA loan because it provides first time home buyer loans with no down payment. A USDA loan is a Government backed loan offered by the United States Department of Agriculture. The Government offers 100% financing mortgage and it is basically for encouraging development in rural and suburban areas. It is also called a rural housing loan. USDA loan provides first time homebuyer loan with $0 down (no down payment) and its first time home buyer credit score is lower (640) than other types of loans. You and your home must fulfill some requirements to eligible for a USDA loan.
- Firstly, your residence must be in suburban or agrarian areas. You might not able to use the home as a working firm rather it must be a single family unit. You must live in the home as your primary residence.
- The other one is a financial requirement that is the combined gross income of your family cannot be exceeding more than 115% of the countries’ medium income. You must have minimum credit scores at least 640 and your debt to income ratio cannot exceed more than 45%.
Average down payment for first time homebuyer loans?
The average down payment has varied with home prices, interest rates, and other factors. Former it was somewhere around 20% but recently the average down payment has dropped. As of 2019, it is roughly 7% for first time buyers and if you are repeated buyers it is likely higher than 7% that is 16%. The buyer’s financial situation has affected their down payment. For Example, A first time home buyer might choose a VA loan with no down payment if they have a little or no money in the bank account. On the other hand, another potential buyer might choose a 20% down payment to reduce the monthly payment if he or she has adequate savings. Therefore, the buyer should figure out their situation and search for the best option.
A mortgage with zero down; Things to know
Chance to buying a home with no down payment somehow not an ideal option. So consider the options carefully. It is the benefit of one who has no savings. Increasing home prices dominate savings in high-cost areas. If you need $200,000 for home and the property appreciates 4% in a year which means your yearly cost is $8,000. That means you will be secured by buying. The benefit of a no down payment is that you can keep some cash liquid for any emergencies and other uses. But it increases the monthly payment and interest charges. With zero down payments, it is not an easy task to qualify for a home loan, each program has few criteria. Most of the program requires private mortgage insurance and you will have to pay for this. It will be knowledgeable that if your position is good then you should buy a home.
Things that reviewed by the mortgage lenders
Now you have just noticed your dream home and ready for a building which is likely the biggest investment in your life. The luckiest person buys the home with direct cash but some people definitely need a loan from the mortgage lender for buying the dream home. But you need to qualify for this huge loan. Mortgage lenders analyze the potential home loan buyer overall credit history, steady income, and a lower amount of debt when checking a mortgage application.
List of 10 first time homebuyers program in 2020
- VA loan program
- FHA loan program
- USDA loan program
- Good Neighbor Next Door buyer aid program
- Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac loan program
- HomePath ReadyBuyer Program
- Energy-efficient mortgage program
- Local first time homebuyer programs and grants
- FHA Section 203(k) loan program
- Native American Direct Loan
Things to consider in first time homebuyers program
It is most important to know the full concept of first time home buyers program before seeking the programs. If you not purchased or owned a home within the last three years, even you are not a primary residence where you live; in that case, you are considered a first time home buyer by many Government and nonprofit programs. Like, FHA and USDA loan has some criteria that your property must fulfill certain requirements before qualifying. For example, A USDA loan applies income restrictions that the gross income of the household must not exceed over 115% of the median income of the country where you live.
And if we talk about the VA (Veterans Affairs) loan, then you must meet service requirements. Anyway, of what options you eligible for, but buying a home is the biggest financial investment and you may not take it lightly. It means just to see how much you can afford including maintenance cost. If you afford then speak to the reputable lender it will be knowledgeable for the first time home buyer.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I get a home loan with a 500 credit score?
Yes, you can get a loan with a 500 credit score. Generally, applicants should have a FICO credit score at least 580 to get maximum financing for buying a new home. FHA loan provides 100% financing for those who have at least 500credit core.
2. Which loan options are best for first time home buyers?
Every loan has standard requirements and if you are able to meet these standards then you may qualify for a loan. For example, if you are veterans or a member of the national gourd you may qualify for VA loans. It allows first time home buyer loans with 100% financing and it is the ideal option for first time home buyer’s as it has no down payment.
3. How do I apply for a first time home buyers loan with bad credit?
For applying first time home buyers loans at first figure out your financial situation that how much you afford. At first, clean up your credit report and search for the first time home buyers program. Use a mortgage lender for those who have flexible credit requirements and check that has no down payment or low down payment and then go for applying.
4. What is the minimum credit score for a mortgage?
500 credit score is considered as a minimum score for a mortgage which is provided by FHA loan. You can get first time home buyer loans with a minimum 500 FICO score but you have to put 10% down payment.
5. What should you not do before buying a house?
You should not do these 5 things before buying a house. These are
- Do not transfer your finance before getting the loan
- Avoid making large deposits into your bank account
- Do not miss the mortgage payments,
- Do not spend the money that you will use to cover closing costs, 5. Avoid lying or hide the truth on the time of loan inquiry, and 6. Avoid co-signing.
Hopefully, you may now able to know how to get first time homebuyer loans with bad credit and without any down payment. Now you can choose your options frequently if you want to buy your dream and sweet home with a home loan. I can say FHA loans will be convenient for you as VA and USDA loans set some standard requirements to qualify for a home loan. This is my opinion you can choose other options if you qualify for a loan. So, this is all about from our side. Thanks a lot.