Have you forgotten to deposit your check through the bank in good time? Well, you should not panic. Maybe you received a check but forgot to deposit it at your bank before it closes. This makes you feel helpless as you might have to wait until the bank opens. However, the good news is that you can deposit your check at an ATM. Shocked, right? I know most people usually think that ATMs are only meant to withdraw cash. However, that’s not right. This is because there is more you can do with the ATM outlet near you. Besides withdrawing, you can also deposit money and even checks. In this article, we shall take a closer look at how you can deposit your check at the nearby ATM.
Process To Deposit A Check At An ATM
Yes. Contrary to what people initially thought, you can now deposit your check at an ATM and later withdraw your money. However, this is only possible with a deposit-enabled ATM. If you have all the critical documents, be sure to deposit your check any time. However, for you to have a smooth transaction there are a number of considerations that you should make. They include the following:
1. Locate the ATM
One of the main considerations to make is locate the ATM near you. If your bank has an ATM that accepts deposits, you can deposit your check and cash it without problems. By choosing this ATM, you will be able to avoid extra charges as far as cashing your check is concerned.
One way to find out if your ATM outlet accepts deposits is to insert your card and then enter your PIN. If you see an option indicating ‘Make a deposit,’ then you can readily deposit your check at that ATM. Since most banks usually have several ATM outlets out there, missing an outlet near you is close to impossible. As long as the ATM is in line with your bank’s network, you are then sorted.
2. Be ready with all the documents
If you want to deposit your check at an ATM, you should gather all the items you need. You should have your bank debit card, your PIN, a bank envelope that is filled, pen and your well signed check. Apart from this, you can carry a few deposit slips if your bank needs one.
To be on the safe side, you should have several deposit slips just in case these slips run out. Typically, you should be well organized in order to have a smooth transaction process. Remember that other customers might be on the line waiting for you. The sooner you are able to deposit your check at the ATM, the better.
3. Be careful
As you make your transactions at the ATM, ensure that the surrounding is safe. This is because there have been cases of robbery at ATM outlets. If you are not careful, your hard-earned money might be stolen.
Therefore, you should ensure that the surrounding is secure, guarded and well-lit. If possible, you can do these transactions during the day, just for security reasons. Besides this, always hide the cash from other onlookers. Finally, no one should know your PIN as this might make them defraud you.
4. Follow the instructions
To start with, know that each ATM works differently. However, all the ATMs normally show a number of instructions to follow on the screen. If you follow these instructions one after the other, you will be done in a few minutes. Some ATMs might ask you to insert your bank debit card and then remove it after a few seconds .However; there are others that might ask you to leave the card in until you are through with the transaction. Either way, they ensure that you will be able to cash your check successfully. Here is the procedure;
- First, insert your card on the machine.
- On the screen, dial your cards PIN.
- Once you have entered the PIN, you will see a plethora of options on the screen. Since you want to deposit your check, select the ‘Deposit’ option. However, you should endorse the check by signing on the back before depositing it at the ATM.
- Thereafter, choose the account you want to deposit your money. Here, you can either choose savings or checking account
- Enter the amount you want to deposit.
- Insert your check. If your ATM of choice is advanced enough to read checks, you do not need to enter any amount as the machine will read the figures on the check.
- Once you have typed the amount you want to deposit, you should confirm the figures once again to avoid making mistakes.
- Finally, answer any questions you might see on the screen.
- Take the receipt. Before you leave, remember to extract your bank card from the machine.
Other Important Considerations To Know
- What if I have many checks to deposit? Fret not because many TMs allow you to deposit multiple checks at once. In fact, some ATMs will allow you to deposit up to 30 checks at a go. This tells you that some ATMs can actually be very convenient for you.
- When it comes to accessing your money, sure that check deposits will be available after two business days. However, it is essential to note that each bank has its own schedule. Despite this, you will be able to utilize the money after two business days or even one.
- Besides this, you should know that different banks have different cut-off times. To put it into perspective, this is the period that the bank terms as ‘end of a business day’. This can either be 2.00 PM or 3.00 PM. Note that this period varies from bank to bank. Therefore, if you make a check deposit after the above-mentioned cut-off times, your bank will assume that you made the deposit on the following day and consequently, you might have to be a little bit patient. Instead of your money being available after 2 days, the money might be available after 3 days. It all depends on the cut-off time of your bank.
- Besides this, if you deposit your check at an ATM that is out of your bank’s network, you might have to be more patient as there might be delays. However, you will eventually get your money. For optimal results, you should not be in a hurry since you will ultimately get your money.
- If you had traveled out of the country, you might have challenges looking for a deposit-enabled ATM for your account. Although your bank might have several ATM outlets overseas, only a handful of these outlets allow you to make check deposits. If you are dealing with an online bank you might have to make a mobile check deposit. However, there are some that allow you to deposit your check at any of their respective ATM outlets. A good example is Capital One 360.
Which Banks Allow You To Deposit A Check At An ATM?
Like we have mentioned above, most banks now allow their customers to deposit checks at most of their ATM outlets. If you want to know which ATM allows you to make check deposits, you can consider checking this information from your bank’s website or better still, contact the customer care team of your bank.
As we speak, some banks now have a mobile app that allows customers to deposit checks by taking a photo of the check and then uploading it on the app. By doing this, your check will actually be deposited within a few minutes. However, you should hold onto the check until you confirm that the deposit has been successful. That said, some of the banks that allow you to make check deposits at an ATM include:
- US Bank
- Bank of America
- Wells Fargo
- JPMorgan Chase
1. Is it possible to cash a check with insufficient funds?
Not really. Ideally, the issuer of the check should have sufficient funds in his or her account. If you try to cash a check with insufficient funds, it will automatically bounce. Therefore, it is vital to ensure that the issuer has sufficient funds in his or her account first before cashing it.
2. Can I cash a personal check at an ATM without a bank account?
No. Since the money will be deposited into your account for you to withdraw it, there is a need for you to have a bank account. In addition, the ATM will require you to use your debit card and even have a PIN for you to make these transactions .As a result, you should have a bank account for you to cash a check at an ATM.
3. Is depositing a check in an ATM instant?
No. While many would like the process to be instant, it actually takes time. Typically, you should be patient and give the entire process about 2 to 3 business days. After these business days are over, you will be able to withdraw the funds and utilize them the way you please.
4. How do ATMs verify checks?
Once you insert your check the ATM, will scan and read the magnetic amount on your check. This is through the help of Optical Character Recognition software in order to read the amount as well as account information written on the check.
5. Can in deposit a check at any ATM?
Yes. However, the ATM should be able to accept checks. If you deposit the check at an ATM that is out of your bank’s network, it might take a little bit longer before you access your cash. Therefore, it is imperative that you visit an ATM that is within your bank’s network. This will enable you to get the money sooner than you expect.
6. Is someone else allowed to cash the check for me?
Yes. That’s what makes endorsing your check important. Endorse your check, hand-write “PAY TO THE ORDER OF” followed by the name of whoever wants to cash the check for you. He or she will then visit the ATM, cash the check and give out the money to you.
If you have forgotten to deposit your check at your bank during the working hours, there is no need to worry as ATMs can readily help you cash your check. All you need to have is the details mentioned above. Also, follow the steps that we have mentioned above and wait for about 2 business days. After this period, you will be at liberty to withdraw the cash and use it to pay bills, purchase a few items, and so on. Consider these ideas today, and you will enjoy more convenience.