Nearly everyone wants to have a free phone. The good news is that the US government runs an aid program helping low-income families’ access cell phone services at discounted rates, and sometimes free. Verizon Wireless is one of the major Lifeline support companies with various offers to qualifying customers. It means not everyone can get the Verizon wireless free government phone, but only those who are unable to access basic communication services.
The federal communication subsidy is available to low-income citizens via mobile network carriers. Essentially, the government supports the aid program by paying $10 every month for each subscriber. Meanwhile, as Verizon Wireless focuses on providing free government cell phones for low income, the universal service fund pays for the services. Various factors including income levels, the cost of living, as well as personal expenditure among others are the guidelines on who qualifies for the free phone services.
How To Get Verizon Wireless Free Government Phone
Through the Verizon wireless Link Up service, you have the chance to acquire free phones no credit card needed, alongside free monthly subscription plans. Nevertheless, before you begin looking for information on how to get the free government phone by Verizon, it is vital to check if you are eligible for the program.
In that regard, you must meet Lifeline’s qualification requirements. It is a way through which the Federal Communications Commission ensures that those qualifying for the aid program are truly in need of the service, and it will be of use to the beneficiaries. While there are various ways to meet the eligibility criteria, which we will address later, the general requirement is to be in an economically challenged condition.
Alternatively, checking out Lifeline’s guidelines from their website will give you the details and contacts to use for inquiries on free phones from the government. Further still, downloading a report on companies near me, from the Universal Service Administrative Company by entering your Zip code as well as your city and state. Nonetheless, USAC has indicated that search results on their site may not include all companies near you. This is because they keep updating the list to feature new Lifeline Link Up, providers. Therefore, in the event you do not find Verizon Wireless on that list, it is advisable to ask the service provider for their Lifeline criteria in your area.
How To Work Verizon Wireless With Government
Verizon Wireless just as other wireless carriers, provide monthly discounts for government, education, and corporate employees. These discounts often extend to veterans and valued service members. Other organizations often usually have pre-existing agreements with the service provider. Accessing the discount as a government employee, it means providing your paystub or work email address to Verizon for verification.
Military discounts are among the best offers from this cell phone carrier, which caters to veterans and active members of service through:
- A $15 price cut on a one-line unlimited plan per month
- A $35 monthly price cut on a two-line unlimited plan
- A prepaid Mastercard with $200 for switching from a different carrier and purchasing a smartphone
- 15% money off other specific plans
- A $40 discount on an unlimited plan with three lines or more every month
- 25% price cut off specific accessories
What Is The Requirement To Qualify For Verizon Wireless Free Government Phone
The Federal Communications Commission provides strict guidelines regarding qualifications for the Lifeline Assistance program. Participating in the following programs gives you automatic eligibility:
- Public housing assistance by the federal government
- Tribal programs such as TTANF, Head Start, FDPIR, and general assistance under the bureau of Indian affairs.
Besides, you can qualify through proving your total household income is below the Federal Government’s average of 135%. This could be a family making less than $33,885 per year, or individuals earning below $16,839 annually. When applying, it is mandatory to provide a W-2 form, pay stubs, or a letter from the government program to which you are participating.
Nevertheless, there are other requirements you must fulfill apart from the guidelines for income level. To get the Verizon wireless free government phone, you will be required to:
- Provide proof of income level
- Avail of your physical address falling within Verizon’s Lifeline assistance jurisdiction
- Inform Verizon in the event you change your location
Where You Can Get A Verizon Wireless Free Government Phone?
Getting the cell phone can be as simple as dialing a toll-free number at 1-800-417-3849, for inquiries regarding availability in your area. Currently, the Verizon wireless free government phone is available to low-income citizens in four states including Wisconsin, North Dakota, Iowa, and New York. However, not all the areas in these states can offer the service. Here are the specific counties eligible for the Lifeline cell phone service in each state:
Lowa Lifeline or Link Up Counties
New York Lifeline or Link Up Counties
Wisconsin Lifeline or Link Up Counties
North Dakota Lifeline or Link Up Counties
Top 7 Best Verizon Wireless Free Government Phones
Unlike some free government cell phone companies, Verizon does not have free cell phones under the Lifeline program. Some of their models are refurbished high-end phones and brand new devices, which are available to everyone. Here are the best low-cost cell phone deals from Verizon Wireless.
1. Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus
- This is one of the latest releases from Samsung. It comes with a 6.2-inch curved screen and weighs approximately 188 grams.
- The Samsung S9 Plus carries two cameras, a 12MP main camera featuring dual-aperture technology, as well as an 8MP selfies camera.
- This smartphone ranks as the first device with f/1.5 to include an aperture in the premium DSLR camera.
- The S9 Plus has a 6GB RAM and comes in 128GB and 64GB internal storage configurations.
- Its 350mAh battery can charge to full capacity in almost 90 minutes.
- Excellent camera specifications for poorly lit areas
- Great audio system
- Fingerprint sensor
- Poor battery performance
2. The Samsung Galaxy S9
- This is the predecessor to the Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus, carrying a 5.8-inch double curved screen.
- The phone’s main camera features 12MP while the front-facing camera is 8MP. The cameras include premium-capturing tools.
- The Galaxy S9 runs on a Snapdragon 845 processor delivering super-fast browsing speeds. Besides, it avails of a waterproof wireless charging system. Its powerful 3000 mAh battery can last up to 12 hours.
- Faster internet speed
- Excellent audio quality
- Wireless charging
- Superior design
- Poor camera quality
- Average battery performance
3. The Apple iPhone X
- The iPhone X continues its supremacy run in the smartphone industry due to high-quality features and great specs.
- It comes with a well-fitting and highly durable 5.8-inch OLED screen.
- The iPhone X avails of the revolutionary Facial recognition feature as its main unlocking mechanism. It also carries a dual-camera system, with the 12-MP main camera supporting f/2.4 image and optical stabilization.
- In addition, this device employs a powerful A11 Bionic chip engine withstanding high gaming experiences, on top of 256 GB internal storage. Its wireless charging system takes about 2 hours for a fully charged battery.
- Enhanced biometrics
- Wireless charging
- Strong, superior screen design
- Excellent camera features
- Short battery life
- Expensive model
4. The LG V30
- The enticing V30 smartphone by LG carries a 6-inch OLED screen. This lightweight and durable device comes in a water-resistant body for an all-weather experience.
- For pictures, the LG V30 features a 16-MP main camera carrying an f/1.6 aperture, which can take photos in dark lit areas. The rear camera also has another 13-MP lens with an f/1.9 aperture. You can also take selfies with the 5MP front-facing camera.
- The LG V30 has a 3,300mAh high capacity battery that can last up to 24 hours on a single charge.
- Excellent main camera specs
- Fast processing speed
- Headphone jack support
- Waterproof screen
- Wireless charging
- Quite expensive
- Slow autofocus camera
5. Google Pixel 2 XL
- This is among the best smartphones in terms of camera features. With a 6-inch screen size, the Google Pixel 2XL operates on the Android Oreo OS.
- Its Poled display supports a high-quality QHD screen resolution of 2,880 by 1,440 pixels.
- Its excellent camera specs feature a 12.2 main camera lens with f/1.8 aperture, which can take clear photos in poorly lit areas. The front-facing camera has an 8-MP capability with an f/2.4 aperture.
- For battery capacity, this device carries 3,520mAh of power.
- Comfortable grip
- Amazing camera features
- Excellent design
- Smart software
- Lacks 3.5 headphone port
- Expensive model
6. The iPhone XS
This iPhone XS is available as a refurbished phone model. However, it is tested and certified for use. Being a replica of the iPhone X, the XS carries amazing features including a strong design and an OLED screen.
- It comes with a 5.8-inch Super Retina screen supporting a 2436 x 1125-pixel count.
- The iPhone XS’s superiority is seen in its IP68 water resistance and dust resistant properties.
- For the camera system, the iPhone XS has an outstanding 12-MP main camera carrying a wide-angle lens. The selfie camera carries a 7-MP capacity of perfect shots.
- Its A12 Bionic chip improves its speed and boosts the engine for enhanced artificial intelligence and face recognition functions.
- Expandable storage
- Excellent battery capacity
- Superior speakers
- Great processor
- High-quality camera features
- Expensive for low-income buyers
- Lacks fast charging feature
7. The iPhone XR
The iPhone XR is popular for its superior camera features such as optical stabilization that enables 4K video recording. The main camera has 12-MP with a wide-angle lens, while the front-facing camera has 7-MP allowing you to make clear FaceTime calls.
- Its IP67 rating makes the smartphone water-resistant for up to 30 minutes.
- This device includes other incredible features such as wireless charging ability and Face recognition unlocking for enhanced security.
- Excellent camera
- Wireless charging
- High performance
- Storage limited at 256GB
- Expensive for low-income buyers
What Is The Additional Feature With Verizon Wireless Free Government Phone
For a basic service on Verizon wireless free government phone, you will get 250 minutes calls and text messages per month. Apart from that, Verizon offers Lifeline plans with discounts. The first offer involves a $9.25 monthly discount on their $25.00 Lifeline plan, resulting in payments of $15.75 every month. For the $19.99 Home Phone Connect Plan, a $9.25 monthly discount means you only get to pay $10.74 per month.
For the two offers, you will get unlimited minutes or texts from mobile-to-mobile, price cuts for call rates, including an affordable one-time activation fee. You can check with Verizon Wireless’ lifeline online page for more details.
Is There Any Hidden Condition To Get Verizon Wireless Free Government Phone
Getting the free government phone comes with a few restrictions. For instance, only one household member can apply for the Lifeline discount or free phone. In addition, you are not allowed to get two Lifeline services simultaneously, such as home phone and wireless services. Therefore, you will want to decide beforehand about the service to apply for, to avoid being disqualified. Attempting to transfer Lifeline benefits can get you a direct de-enrolment from the program.
Many low-income individuals cannot afford the monthly payments that most cell phone plans require, let alone a mobile phone. For that reason, we find that Verizon wireless free government phone plans are a budget-friendly alternative for economically challenged individuals. Besides, Verizon has excellent network coverage across the United States, which means excellent connectivity throughout your usage. However, their mobile phones are still too expensive for low-income citizens, compared to what other Lifeline mobile carriers are offering.