Plantar fasciitis is a foot condition caused by the inflammation of your plantar fascia. It is mostly triggered when the feet muscles are overstretched or overloaded. In some patients, the condition occurs to them by virtue of having naturally flat feet. This leads to tearing of the fascia fibers, eventually causing inflammation.
Plantar fasciitis is common in pregnant or obese people, a factor that is accelerated by the increase in body weight. It is also prevalent in diabetic people although the reason behind this is not known.
Strenuous physical activities can trigger the condition. Such include moving heavy furniture, running, rock climbing, aerobics, playing volleyball, and tennis.
Poorly constructed footwear also play a major role in causing plantar fasciitis. Little or no arch support causes the fibers on your sole to stretch and tear. Usually, this is a painless experience and you may only start to experience some pain months after the tear happened.
Suffering from Plantar Fasciitis can take a toll on a person’s physical and mental wellbeing. Therefore, people who live with plantar fasciitis on a lifelong basis should consider getting the doctor recommended shoes for plantar fasciitis.
This article looks into the best new balance shoes for plantar fasciitis in 2021
The top 10 Best New Balance Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis
1. New Balance Men’s Arishi V2 Fresh Foam Running Shoe
Size and Fit : The New Balance Men’s Arishi V2 Fresh Foam Running Shoe has a lightweight construction that makes it suitable for outdoorsy people. In making the shoe, standard sizing schemes were applied. This means that people who purchase it online can use their usual sizing expectations.
Outsole : The outsole is made from thick rubber to protect it from the abrasive effects of rain and sunshine. This rubber material also increases friction between the shoe and road surfaces, which give the user a steady grip on the road.
Additional Features : The shoe has deep heel cups that keep the heel padded and stabilize you as you go about your activities.
Extra cushioning relieves pressure for your feet.
- The thick sole makes the shoe durable
- It comes in a variety of colors to suit your personality
- Its lightweight nature makes it suitable long-distance walking
- The shoe is made from breathable mesh. This feature ensures your feet stay dry all day long
- The midsole is not as thick as other midsoles in the New Balance series. As such, this shoe may not be the best choice for patients with advanced plantar fasciitis.
- It is expensive for some people.
2. New Balance Men’s 608v5 Casual Comfort Cross Trainer Shoe
Midsole : This version of the New Balance series has a chunky midsole to relieve pressure from your heels. A raised midsole also ensures equal distribution of weight.
Support : The back of the 608v5 series is slightly raised to have a tighter grip on the heels. This feature comes in handy for plantar fasciitis patients with narrow heels.
Additional Features : The upper is made of leather or suede. These materials are known for securing foothold. The outsole also has added flex grooves that improve the overall flexibility of the foot.
- It is one of the best dress shoes for plantar fasciitis This feature is owed to the laid back style of the footwear.
- The rubber sole promotes the shoe’s durability.
- It has strong traction which enhances its grip on slippery surfaces.
- Its lightweight nature makes it suitable for long distance walking.
- The price may be expensive for some people.
- The insert is not quite comfortable and you may have to replace it with over-the-counter inserts.
- Faux leather has been used to make some parts of the shoe. Critics claim that this material makes the shoe look cheap.
3. New Balance Men’s MW877 Walking Shoe
Midsole : The MW877 series is shock absorbent thanks to its rubber midsole. The midsole also provides ample cushioning to give you a feeling of comfort all day long. The cushioning attenuates impact but does not compress. Lack of compression makes it hold the foot steady.
The back of the shoe has an external counter to provide further support to the heel.
Footbed : The footbed is well-padded to prevent the ground from exerting pressure on the heel. It is also contoured to prevent your heels from slipping.
Additional Features : The shoe has the traditional lacing system to secure the foot. The suede material further promotes grip be creating friction between the foot and the shoe.
- The shoe comes in wide and narrow options to fit users with naturally wide feet.
- Its defined arch makes it the most preferred show choice for people with plantar fasciitis.
- Its lightweight nature makes it suitable for long distance walking.
- The shoe is quite stiff and may irritate the ankles
- The foot chamber is not properly ventilated. This may cause your feet to sweat
- The laces are too long are take time to tie up
- It is expensive
4. New Balance Women’s Fresh Foam Arishi V1 Running Shoe
Outsole : The outsole is made of hard rubber to promote durability. The friction between the shoe and the ground surface ensures stability, making the shoe perfect for long distance walks.
Upper Unit : The upper unit of this shoe is made of smooth like a red bottom dress shoes, quality cloth that does not irritate the skin. This feature makes the shoe the most suitable for patients who have sensitive skin as well.
The tongue is padded for extra comfort and is reinforced to ensure your heels do not slip.
A traditional lacing system is incorporated in the shoe design to give you various options for adjustment.
- The shoe’s versatility makes both a running shoe and a lifestyle sneaker
- It is more affordable compared to other sneakers in the New Balance series.
- Adequate ventilation keeps your feet dry.
- The shoe has a wider width which prevents the formation of bunions.
- This particular model lacks the half-size option.
5. New Balance Men’s Coast V4 FuelCore Athletic Shoe Running
Midsole : The Coast V4 FuelCore series is famous for its dual-density midsole. The thick midsole serves two functions. First, it acts as a shock absorbent. Secondly, it provides you with a soft feeling without compressing the shoe.
Outsole : The shoe’s outsole is made from thick rubber. Other than enhancing durability, the sole increases friction between the ground surface and the shoe, thereby promoting steadiness.
Upper Unit : The upper unit is made from mesh to ensure breathability. This feature prevents your feet from sweating and also makes the shoe a favorite to people with sensitive feet.
Additional Features : Contrary to most new balance shoes for plantar fasciitis, the Coast v4 series has flat laces loops for adjusting the fit. This enables you to manipulate the looseness or tightness of the in-shoe without making adjustments to the instep.
- It is affordable.
- It is lightweight in nature.
- The underfoot cushioning makes it easier to walk on rough terrain
- The footbed is contoured. This feature distributes your weight evenly
- The soft fabric makes the shoes susceptible to ripping
- The upper unit is too stretchy and may make your feet wobble.
6. New Balance Women’s 09v1 Training Shoe
Midsole : The shoe’s midsole is lightweight in nature which makes it great for all-day activities. It is also slightly raised in the middle to relieve the pressure exerted on the heel.
Outsole : The outsole is made of hard rubber to increase friction between the ground and the shoe. This ensures your feet remain steady through the provision of support to the ankles.
Additional Features : The heel of the shoe is cupped to accommodate your heels. This feature makes it the perfect shoe for people with extremely flat heels.
- The well-cushioned underfoot makes the shoe suitable for all-day wears
- It comes in a wide array of colors
- The shoe catches dirt fast which makes it hard to clean
- Some users have complained about the shoe’s breathability. Poor ventilation makes the feet sweat and this may cause further complications such as fungi
- It is expensive for some people
7. New Balance Women’s 574v2 Sneaker
Fit and Sizing : The shoe comes in sizes 5 to 12 US. It is generally large but gets narrower towards the forefoot. As such, it is recommended that you pick a size larger when purchasing it.
Outsole : The sole is a thick rubber which acts as a shock absorber. It is also cushioned to provide comfort and distribute weight evenly.
Additional Features : The shoe is covered with a breathable mesh which makes it a favorite to people with sensitive feet.
- It is extremely stylish all while maintaining comfort
- It has an extended height to offer additional ankle support
- The breathable mesh prevents your feet from sweating. This ensures you do not contract other foot conditions such as Athlete’s foot or fungi
- It is affordable compared to other shoes in the New Balance series.
- The sporty profile makes it unfavorable for the office environment
8. New Balance Men’s 1080v9 Fresh Foam Running Shoe
Midsole : The midsole is cushioned to provide a soft feeling to your feet. The center is slightly raised for even distribution of weight, and the footbed is contoured for even weight distribution.
Outsole : The thick outsole acts as a shock absorber to prevent further injury to your feet. The heel of the shoe is also cupped to hold your heel in place and avoid slippage.
- It comes with the standard sizing schemes, therefore, users can apply their usual sizing expectations when making purchases.
- The series comes in a variety of colors to suit your personality.
- It is lighter compared to other shoes in the New Balance series.
- It is expensive
9. New Balance Women’s W1540 Running Shoe
Outsole : The outsole is made of breathable mesh. This prevents sweating and leaves you feeling comfortable all day long. It is made of thick rubber to absorb shock and increase the grip between the shoe and the ground surface.
Midsole : The midsole has extra cushioning to give you a spongy feel. The center of the sole is also raised to remove pressure from the heels.
Additional Features : It has an extended height to support the ankles.
- Its thick rubber sole protects it from the effects of rain and sunshine. This makes it durable.
- It is expensive
10. New Balance Women’s w990v4 Running Shoe
Midsole : The midsole has dual density foam to provide maximum cushioning. This gives you a ‘bouncy’ feel as you walk. It is contoured to distribute weight evenly.
Size and Fitting : The shoe comes in sizes 7 to 16 with standard sizing schemes.
Outsole : The outsole has an extended height to give extra support to the ankles.
- It has a lace keeper which makes it easy to secure the tongue.
- It has a reflective mesh. This gives night walkers a sense of security as they can easily be spotted from a distance.
- The thick sole makes it durable.
- It is bulky compared to other shoes in the New Balance series. This feature makes it unsuitable for long distance walkers.
- The bulky nature makes the wearer’s foot look awkwardly big.
- The soles lack traction. This poses a risk while walking on slippery floors.
- It is expensive
How to Tell You Need Plantar Fasciitis Shoes
Plantar Fasciitis damages the plantar fascia in one’s feet. This is the thick layer of tissue that connects the heel to your foot. One of the roles of your plantar fascia is to provide stability to your feet. As such, getting diagnosed with the condition requires you to make adjustments to your footwear. Not wearing the appropriate footwear may aggregate the condition and bring about more complications such as backaches, headaches and general body pain.
These are some of the symptoms of plantar fasciitis to look out for:
- Swelling of the feet
- Tightening of your calf muscles
- Difficulty walking up or down the stairs, or other uphill environments
- Reddening of your feet
- Stiff and sore feet. This is especially common around the arch and heels
- Burning sensation at the sole of your feet.
Management of Plantar Fasciitis
Plantar Fasciitis can be managed by ensuring you wear the proper kind of shoes. With so many brands in the market, finding the perfect shoes may pose a challenge. Here are some qualities you should look for when purchasing shoes for plantar fasciitis:
- Arch Support
Ideal plantar fasciitis shoes must be able to support you throughout the day. A proper arch prevents feet from flattening and therefore limits pronation. Shoes that offer great arch support prevent swelling of feet in pregnant mothers.
- Removable Footbed
Removable footbeds are especially recommended for people who need extra arch support. This feature allows you to replace them with custom-made or over-the-counter heels.
- Shock Absorption
The ideal plantar fasciitis shoes should be able to absorb shock from the ground. Shock absorbing properties are more effective when the sole is made from thick rubber.
- Contoured Footbeds
Contoured footbeds promote alignment by distributing your weight evenly across the shoe.
- Wide toe boxes
This promotes breathability of the feet
- Extended Backs
They provide your ankles with extra support.
Treatment of Plantar Fasciitis
Treatment of plantar fasciitis is a 6-8 week process which involves engaging in activities that give your feet muscles time to heal. Note that this treatment can only be effective in patients whose condition was caused by factors such as wearing poorly constructed footwear. For patients who naturally have flat feet, the condition can only be managed and not treated.
- Tape the bottom of the injured foot. The tape will act as a cushion and relieve pressure from the arch
- Wear shoes with raised midsoles and raised heels
- Switch to less strenuous exercises such as swimming or cycling. These have the least effect on your feet. You will, therefore, remain fit without interfering with the healing of your plantar fascia.
- Take a break from stretching exercises as these may interfere with the fibers of your plantar fascia. If stretching is a necessary part of your routine, consult a professional trainer on how to go about it.
- Put ice in your feet after performing exercises that trigger pain in your soles.
The New Balance series is just as effective as Clarks shoes for plantar fasciitis. However, New Balance has an upper hand since their shoes are more affordable compared to Clarks.
We believe the this in depth guide will help you as you plan to purchase your balance shoe.