Most shoppers tend to believe that online stores accept debit cards and credit cards only for online shopping. They are barely aware that there are online stores that allow one to shop online with checking account number without any additional cost. It is in this regard that this article is coming to your aid.
This guide is set to give you all the important information you need on how to shop online using checking account number. It will discuss :
- How to open a checking account
- Stores that accept checking account number
- How to shop online in stores that do not accept checking account numbers
- Associated risks, and how to keep safe
What is a checking account?
A checking account is an account held in a bank or other financial institutions that allows unlimited deposits and withdrawals. It is very liquid and you can easily access it using several methods; electronics debits, automated teller machines, and checks. As compared to the other saving accounts, checking accounts allows unlimited deposits and several withdrawals. You also allow you to easily send money with checking account to a prepaid card online.
It is important to understand why you can opt for a checking account for your online shopping:
- First, if you lack either a debit or a credit card; could be you have not been supplied with from the bank, waiting for one, or lost, using a checking account number the best available option.
- Secondly, if you prefer the use of checking account numbers as a personal preference or, to avoid the concerns that come with using a debit or credit card in online shopping.
To shop online using a checking account number is just as easy as using a debit card or a credit card. Most retailers will only require you to key in the bank routing account and the account number, name of the account holder, physical address, and a driving license number. Some retailers, however, require you to first link the checking account to a wallet. This does not make it any problem to use.
How to open a checking account
According to Investopedia, opening a checking account takes some time as your application is vetted, with your financial spending habits coming into scrutiny. Banks and credit unions employ the use of credit reporting agencies like Early warning System and ChexSystems to supply your consumer bank report. This report contains information if you have had accounts closed before because of mismanagement, failure to pay school fees and bounced checks.
You will only be allowed a checking account when you have a clean financial record. Otherwise, you will be denied and backlisted from getting the account. It is therefore important that you keep your financial transactions in check. Avoid overdrafts and ensure you clear your fees and charges as soon as possible.
Action to take when denied a Checking Account
Denial of a checking account at the first attempt is not the end of your financial world. You can always take some actions into repairing the damage before reapplying once more. Some of the best ways to consider are;
- Open a saving account with a financial institution of choice to help establish a relationship. You can go ahead and create a checking account tied to your savings account.
- You can order your banking history report from either credit reporting agencies. Dispute any incorrect or erroneous information. If all the information is accurate you get to correct them by changing your financial tendencies and reapply for an account after some time.
- Consider speaking to the bank officer of the possibility of the institution changing its mind.
How to Get your Checking Account Number
After opening a checking account, are you wondering where you can get the checking account number? Most banks avoid sending the details through phone or online due to security reasons. Here are some of the sources where you will get the checking number;
- Visit your local bank branch with your identification documents to get the number.
- Most banks print the checking account number at the top of the monthly statement. It is easily accessible whether in print form or over the email.
- When you use a check, you can find the checking account number from the numbers printed at the left-hand corner. The numbers on the far left are routing numbers, the far-right is the check number, while the middle group is the checking account number.
- Find it online by logging into your bank account on the bank’s website. You will find the checking number at the top right of the page. There is also the option of funding it the e-statement of any month.
Online Stores that Accept Checking Account Numbers
These are some of the selected online stores that accept checking account numbers;
1. Google Express
Google delivery service via Google Express, it allows you to order goods from a number of stores like Cosco, Target, and Walmart, using your checking account number, and get it delivered to you anywhere around the U.S after a few days. Linking your checking account to Google Express is pretty simple. The platform provides Google pay which you use to pay the Google Express while you use your checking account number to top up the Google Pay.
You link your checking account to the Google Pay. You will enter your name, account number, routing number as they appear on your bank details.
It is refreshing to know that Amazon, one of the largest online retailers allows users to shop online with checking account number. Amazon makes it easy to set up your checking account as a payment system.
Once you are at the checkout step, click Add a checking account. Enter your bank routing number then proceed to the account number, which must be of a bank branch in the U.S. After that you will enter the name and address of the account holder, the driving license ID number and the issuing date. After that, you are free to check out.
You will not have to re-enter these details, you simply choose pay by electronic check online shopping option.
3. Microsoft Store
You don’t have to worry about computers, software, gaming devices, tablets, among other electronics at the Microsoft Store if you don’t have a debit card or a credit card as you can use your checking account number.
To set up your account number as a payment option, log in to your Microsoft account, click on the “Payment & Billing” then select “payment options”. Proceed to “Add a payment option” and click “Bank Account.” You will enter your name, address, routing number and account number. And confirm.
Visit Microsoft account support in case of any issues or concerns when using the account number. You can easily add, update, remove or troubleshoot problems of a payment method.
Shopping With a Checking Account Number Using PayPal
Other than credit card and debit card, PayPal is the next most preferred online payment method. You can easily fund your PayPal account using different methods, among them directly from your bank account.
Linking your checking account to PayPal is simple and straightforward. Proceed to the next page which is “Shop with PayPal” after signing up and filling your personal details. Click “link a bank account” on the bottom of the page. Enter your checking account information, PayPal will verify, and complete the process.
The process is even easier for those who already have a PayPal account yet have not verified. Click on “My Wallet” at the page and choose “add a bank account”, where you will enter your checking account details.
PayPal is the most convenient payment method to use when linked with a checking account. It is free to join, easy to access in a mobile device and is accepted by several merchants and online stores around the world.
Topping up Checking Account for Emergency
Just like when using a debit card or credit cards, you can from time to time run out of money yet you still have needs, when you shop online with checking account number. You don’t have to worry though as there are several financial solutions that will come in handy in the form of loans you will seek later. Some of these institutions include;
- Loan solo : This is for when you are buying a small product and has run out of money. It allows little borrowings in a range of $100 – $1000. The process is simple, you provide your personal details for approval, get connected to a suitable lender, and receive the money directly in your checking account as early as the next day. It operates fully online making it easily accessible. Loan solo official website is loansolo.com .
- PockBox : This is fit for when you need a bigger amount of money on loan. It allows for up to $2500 of money you can spend on shopping online. All you have to do is supply your personal details, the site will approve and connect you to a suitable lender, which will deposit the money directly to your checking account. PockBox official website is pockbox.com .
Shopping Online with Checking Account Number Using Gift Cards
You have a product or a deal that you can only get from a particular online store, yet it does not allow you to buy stuff online with checking account number? Then it’s high time you gift yourself a shopping card. You can purchase a gift card from any store that allows the use of checking account numbers. You can then use the card to purchase online from any online store that accepts it.
Some of the best sites to purchase gift cards are;
- Amazon – it provides different categories of gift cards, either visa gift card to use on any store that accepts visa card or for specific store cards.
- You can get discounted gift cards at cardcash. You will have to create an account at the site then include your routine and checking account number as the method of payment. You can receive the gift card online 24 hours after purchase or delivered to your address using USPS.
- Visit your bank’s website or branch to confirm if they sell gift cards. It costs around $4 dollars, and either be an online gift card or you pick physically depending on your convenience.
If the store you need only accepts store-specific card, you still have a shot at landing the product you so desire. This is if at all they accept PayPal or Google Pay as a payment method. You can shop in that online store once you have linked your checking account number with Google Pay or PayPal payment options.
Risks when Using Checking Account Numbers to Shop Online
In as much as it seems using checking account number for online shopping is the easiest of payment methods, it comes with some risks that you need to be aware of. These risks include;
- Data Theft : The concern on data and personal details security has been on the rise in recent times. Untrustworthy sites can easily give data to third parties, mostly for ads against your will. Make sure you only trade on trusted sites.
- Malware : Malware attacks can compromise data security. It is important you keep strong passwords, and the sites must also ensure consumer data safety.
- Phishing : This is where fraudsters pretend to be genuine online stores to prompt you to reveal sensitive information like your checking account number. Refrain from clicking on questionable links online.
Security Tips For Checking Account Numbers
These are some of the security tips by The Telegraph you can use to protect you from the possible risks when using checking account numbers for online shopping;
- Do not reveal your account number : Avoid as much as possible revealing to anyone your account details when shopping online. Fraudsters can easily manipulate it for costly fraudulent transactions. If at all you have to share the details then make sure it is only when the transaction is in process, and never through the phone irrespective of the caller.
- Update software : Regularly updating your software helps to keep up with the latest security patches the updated versions come with. This helps in avoiding unlawful parties intercepting crucial details like your checking account number.
- Avoid public/shared computers : You can easily compromise your data security when you use public computers as most browsers tend to keep records of passwords. If you have to use public computers makes sure you are logged off social media and email accounts, and never click “Remember me” when prompted.
Armed with all the important information in relation to how to shop online with checking account, you are free to proceed and have the best online shopping experience. The scarce number of stores that accept checking account numbers should not stop you. You can opt for gift cards or better still link your checking account number with your PayPal and Google Play accounts.