The right technology for the 65 plus crowd is not as much as compared to the younger generations. Besides, not all seniors know how to use a smartphone. However, with technology improving by the day, phone companies have begun introducing Verizon cell phones for seniors in the market. The best part is that these phones carry features that every non-tech-savvy grandparent can use. With that in mind, previous studies have also indicated that at least more than ¾ of the 65+ population have a cell phone.
Similarly, a lot more seniors are signing up to receive a cell phone for free from government. Even though seniors are in their sunset years, they still want to have a feel and taste of the best things life can provide. Our list features the best cell phones for seniors because they are easy to operate. These Verizon phones often come with exceptional features like big buttons and fonts. Such features are not typical with a standard smartphone. It is advisable that seniors should take time to generate checklists for choosing ideal cell phones.
Most people will want to consider their budget when making a shopping checklist. Checking out some of the free phone offers like free phones from straight talk can be a great way for a senior to access a Verizon compatible phone. That aside, it is best to keep in mind that aging comes with certain limitations like hearing, vision, as well as deteriorating motor skills. The best smart phones for seniors should carry functions and features that cater to the limitations of old age.
Top 10 Verizon Phones for Seniors in 2019
1. LG Exalt 2 VN370
If you are in need of a good Verizon phone with excellent voice and messaging features, the LG Exalt might just be the ideal choice.
- Display: 0-inches:
- Camera: 2+ megapixel and 1.3 MP front camera
- WQVGA 240 x 400 pixels 155 ppi approx
- GPS-enabled for turn-by-turn directions;
- Family Locator service plus Mobile Web 2.0 capabilities
The LG Exalt is an easy to use phone with a reliable service and user experience. With a 3.0 inch display, it is convenient for any senior to see words in magnifying mode. The GPS system is quite effective in helping seniors move from one place to another.
- Carries an audio chip for music and voice
- Big internal memory plus Micro SD slot for extra memory
- Excellent flip phone with no distractions
- Big fonts, large numbers, huge texts convenient for seniors
- The exterior display has scroll box for displaying calling number and time
- Very clear voice for seniors with hearing problems
- Gets slow on retrieving messages over time
- Easily drops Bluetooth connection
- Phone case is slippery, increasing chances of falling down and breaking
Generally, the LG exalt functionality is ideal for the elderly. Despite its shortcomings, it is still a great Verizon cell phone for seniors.
2. Samsung J327V Eclipse
Also known as the Samsung Eclipse Achieve Express PUSHIMEI, it is a standard Verizon wireless phone that is characterized by various market names. It also comes in a wide range of colors including black brushed and clear brushed.
- Rear 5MP camera
- Front 2MP Camera
- Battery 2600 mAh – Up to 14 days on stand-by time
- 16GB Internal Memory
- 5GB ROM / RAM
- Expandable microSD up to 256GB
Unlike the LG Exalt, the Samsung Exalt has a soft TPU case on top of a carbon fiber design for enhanced grasp. Because most seniors are particularly concerned about the environment, the phone’s casing is made of eco-friendly plastic material as well as a TPU rubber. The TPU rubber casing is raised on the front side to guard the screen from the impact of falls.
This phone comes fitted with all the unique functionalities you’ll ever want in a smartphone. On top of that, the Samsung Eclipse is optimized for easy charging, camera use, and easy to reach volume keys and headphone jack.
- Textured sides and back for easy grip
- Rubber casing offering good protection
- Firm and flexible to withstand impact from drops
- Bulky enough and sizeable for the pocket
- Light-weight for the hand
- Customers have complained of delicate un-protective casing
3. Kyocera DuraXV LTE E4610 Verizon Wireless
Social media can have hundreds of notifications hitting your phone. The best Verizon cell phones for seniors can save you from the stress of scrolling through all those notifications. That is what you will get from the Kyocera DuraXV Verizon phone.
- HD Voice Compatible
- 4-inch screen
- 5 MP camera
- Needs a 4FF nano SIM card – NOT inclusive
Kyocera comes in an ultra-rugged style with a super-sonic receiver. This cell phone, further, features a 5 megapixel camera that allows you to capture great moments with family. The screen has a fair display at 2.4 inches.
- Available Micro SD slot
- Expandable memory up to 32 GB
- Easy to use
- Excellent communication
- Strong message reception
- Strong battery that can store charge for up to 1 week
- No instruction manual included
- No option for erasing one message, can only delete an entire thread
- Some models have charging issues
Weighing the pros and cons of this Verizon cell phone, it is still a good choice for seniors. They get to benefit from great communication and an excellent battery life among others.
4. Samsung Convoy 3
The Convoy 3 from Samsung is one cell phone that works perfectly well with Verizon wireless.
- Works with both Verizon Postpaid and Prepaid Plans
- Rugged Military Specs
Verizon had stopped activating 3G phones for its new clients. However, you must fulfill two conditions before buying the Samsung Convoy. To buy the phone, you must be:
- A current Verizon subscriber
- Intending to use the phone on Verizon’s prepaid service
The rugged military design gives the phone a unique look. However, both the internet and picture messaging features have been disabled on this device. In addition, the Convoy 3 does not come with a charger.
- Rugged, semi-rubber casing for good grip
- Effective LED flashlight
- Excellent battery life lasting all day
- Large screen and buttons
- Ultra-sensitive side buttons
- Screen delays to turn off, draining the battery quickly
- No feature to customize new words
- Lacks capability to delete one message
Operating without a charger, the Samsung Convoy 3 has a long battery life. This could just be the best cell phone a senior needs to run their day to day errands.
5. Samsung Convoy 2 SCH-U660
The Convoy 2 is among the best Verizon cell phones for seniors from the Samsung brand.
- Long power storage
- Takes great pictures
- Exceptional sound clarity
- Ideal basic phone
It is an excellent phone with all the primary functions of a cell phone. It delivers great voice communication as well as text messaging and internet. You will also find its grip good for the hands, plus a useful camera for taking photos.
- Ideal for seniors who cannot adjust to enhanced technology devices
- Effective in performing the primary functions of a cell phone
- Holds charger for the longest time
- Quality images
- Clear sound and loud alarms
- Screen scrambles regularly forcing a restart
- Small screen
- No QWERTY keyboard
- Poor video quality
The Samsung Convoy 2 delivers all the functionalities of a basic phone. Although it has a small screen, you will find it useful in taking pictures as well as visiting the internet.
6. Verizon LG Vx8560
If you have been a fan of the chocolate 2, then the Verizon LG Vx8560 Chocolate 3 is the replacement of the version.
- MP3 player
- 2 MP camera
- FM transmitter
- High Resolution QVGA display
In a flip design, the LG Vx8560 delivers high quality MP3 music besides allowing you to take great photos with its 2.0 megapixel camera. The phone carries a standard 3.5 mm audio port allowing you to use headphones. For display, the Grey Chocolate 3 has high-resolution QVGA screen on top of an FM transmitter. The spinning scroll wheel allows for easy navigation through the phone. A micro SD slot provides for extra storage.
- Programmable FM radio transmitter
- Smooth surface and great ringtones
- Good picture quality
- Plenty of quality features make it reliable
- Long battery life
- Pressing any button on the covers shuts off the phone
- Not durable since it’s primarily a refurbished product
- Several menus unsuitable for disability cases
The Verizon LG features among the best Verizon cell phones for seniors for its various features that give you the ultimate experience of owning a flip phone.
7. Verizon Wireless Motorola RAZR V3m
This is another flip Verizon phone that comes with a built-in music player, and is ideal for seniors.
- Sleek design
- 3 MP digital camera
- Supports online music downloads
- Built-in music player
While this phone may resemble other flip phones for seniors, it has a competitive edge with easy internet downloads and access to emails. In addition, you get a 1.3 megapixel digital camera for pictures and an extra 1 GB memory for storage.
- Excellent standard cell phone features
- Takes quality pictures
- Activates easily
- Quick recharge time
- Reduced battery power
- Lacks an instruction manual
- Not durable since it is a refurbished version
Save for the weak battery life because of being refurbished version, this Verizon Motorola phone delivers excellent functions of a basic phone. On top of that, you can use the device to read emails, surf the internet, and listen to music.
8. Page Plus LG Vx8300
If you are a senior craving for some fun in the old age, this Verizon or Page Plus LG VX8300 provides you with the most fun that tech can put at your disposal.
- 3 MP digital camera
- Built-in music player
- Bluetooth wireless technology
The tech-savvy seniors will want to use the built-in V-CAST music player to crank up music in stereo sounds. Besides, seniors can also get down to watching videos on this device. The 1.3 MP digital camera takes crisp images and high quality video recordings.
- Excellent functionalities of a mobile phone
- Extra-long standby battery hours
- Durable and strong phone
- Big, easy to press buttons
- Clear LCD screen
- Short battery life when in use
- Poor sound quality
- Uses old Verizon software
Verizon cell phones for seniors are available in different classy designs and makes. Though it carries an old school look, the LG VX8300 might be the perfect companion for seniors who are tired of dealing smartphones.
9. Samsung Gusto 3
The clamshell Gusto 3 cell phone by Samsung carries a 2-inch screen and a 1.3 megapixel camera.
- Dynamic voice enhancement
- Multiple messaging options
- 2-inch screen
- Delivers 1xRTT internet connectivity
- Turn-by-turn directions GPS functions
- Backup assistant stores
- Bluetooth for hands-free using
- VGA still camera
Seniors can use the personal organizer tools to write down to-do lists, set up alarm reminders among others. You can also use hands-free devices via Bluetooth wireless technology. Samsung Gusto 3 has a good battery power that keeps you going for long.
- Excellent battery life
- Features a real keypad
- Very clear, loud notifications
- Numerous messaging applications
- Cheap, thin plastic leaves device unprotected
- No instruction manual in the package
- Phone can reboot unexpectedly
Seniors are obviously going to be more interested in the Samsung Gusto 3, and will want to discover more about its basic features. Because of its spending features, it is one of our top Verizon cell phones for seniors 2019.
10. Samsung Knack U310
The Knack U310 cell phone by Samsung is 100% licensed for activation and use, hence carrying easy to use functions for seniors.
- Large LCD screen
- Easy to use functions
- Comes with a real keypad
- Maximum hearing aid compatibility
This is one of the few cell phones for seniors with special features for those with hearing and visual aid. Besides the speakerphone control, and the digital TYY, the device also features a comprehensive hearing aid compatibility (HAC). The keypad, large LCD display, as well as an emergency button makes it fully compatible to the needs of most seniors.
- Multiple language features
- Simple to use
- Loud ring volume
- Large icons and fonts
- Large keypad
- Excellent sound quality
- Intermittent software glitches interferes affects screen light
- Poor signal detection strength
If you are looking for the best Verizon phone experience, the Samsung Knack u310 is just what you require. Even as it comes with no camera and the internet, it still a conducive phone for seniors to use.
Types of Senior Cell Phones To Consider
Once you have a checklist of the features you need, you are now ready to begin your hunt for a cell phone. Typically, you will find three phone types in the market:
- Block phones
- Flip phones
Those in need of a basic communication device featuring calling and texting, the first two options would be preferable. However, if you are looking for the bells and whistles that with connectivity, you’ll want to consider smartphones.
Smartphones are quickly becoming popular among seniors due to the multiple intelligent features, which can simplify life in old age. These devices provide instant and constant internet connectivity if you wish. It means seniors can use a smartphone for everything they often use a PC for. In additions, there are limitless apps allowing users to video chat, watch TV, play games, and monitor home security and health among others.
Before opting for this kind of device, it is advisable that seniors familiarize with using touchscreen gadgets. Further still, they need to get ready for a learning period regarding smartphone usage and managing. There is also the aspect of selecting between an iPhone and an Android phone. Therefore, seniors will want to take time in doing their homework on the best smartphone in the market.
When opening up, flip phones reveal a touchpad and a small screen. These cell phones are quite elementary in their functions and come with handy designs. It explains why they are a perfect choice for seniors who just need to text, talk, and probably do some photo and video shoots. Even though some flip phones feature internet access, the service very elementary and slow in functioning because of minimum processing speeds.
Slider or Block Phones
Slider style or block style phones are another no-frills phone design for basic users like seniors. While these phones do not require flipping, they do need sliding. Block phones generally carry a large screen face, which slides up revealing a keyboard that is often bigger than most phones have. This makes slider style phones suitable for seniors with larger fingers or vision issues.
The Bottom Line
If it has been long since you last shopped for a phone, choosing the best Verizon cell phones for seniors can be a difficult endeavor. However, this product review should help put all your doubts to rest. There are multiple options to choose from, which will favor your cell phone needs as a senior. Most of these Verizon phones carry common features such as loud volume, SOS button, LCD display, as well as big fonts among others. Typically, the features are a perfect fit for seniors that regularly face age-related complications like hearing and sight issues. Furthermore, most seniors will not require the internet unless they are technology savvy.