Professional anglers usually rely on two things to catch more fish. Gut feeling and technology. Modern-day anglers use the latest gadgets to locate the biggest schools of fishes for an effective capture. They can locate schools that contain hundreds of fishes and use their professional gear to catch many fishes at a time. One of the key gadgets used by these professionals includes fish finders. The fish finder gadgets act as the eyes of the anglers to help them look for the best fishing spots.
Fishfinders used to be high-tech costly gadgets that only the wealthy fishermen could afford in the past. However, modern-day fish finders are effective and affordable. You can easily find several handy fish finders under 200$ that perform the necessary function perfectly.
Typically, fish finder devices work on the principal of SONAR technology. They send sound signals into the water and look for echoes that come back from any reflective object. In this case, the reflective object is the school of fish. This high-tech functionality is often displayed over a TFT screen that shows the angler the exact location and size of the school. Professional anglers know how to read and leverage this information to cast a net that catches the greatest number of fishes in a single attempt.
Recommended Post For You
- The 5 Best Rangefinder For Bow Hunting 2019 Under 200
- The 10 Best Vacuum for Laminate Floors – Home Cleaning Guide
- The 5 Best Electric Toothbrush For Braces 2019 – Reviews
Top 5 Best Fish Finders Under 200 Reviews 2019
The modern-day compact fish finding devices are appropriate for small boats as well as kayaks. They can be installed and removed from the boat within a couple of minutes. The no non-sense and effective approach of these fish finders can help the anglers go out and catch as many fishes as he/she wants in a small time. The top fish finders on this list give the anglers the necessary return on investment from day one.
1. Garmin Striker Plus 4cv
The Garmin Striker Plus 4cv is a compact no non-sense fish finding device that is ideal for anglers operating on small kayaks and boats. The angler can easily put this device on the head of the kayak or in his/her pocket for effective use at a later stage. The device features a high-resolution screen with bright HVGA colors.
The device features all the SONAR options that you can wish for. With the 2D, ClearVU option, you can easily scan a large area of the lake/ocean effectively. You can also use the CHIRP SONAR technology to scan the waterbody at far away distances for a school of fish. These features make the device ideal for fishing in both small as well as large lakes.
- High-resolution screen
- Sonar, CHIRP, ClearVU enabled the device
- Dedicated GPS module
- Ability to drop waypoints and track them
- Dual-beam technologies to cover different cones
- Small screen size
- No dedicated SD card slot
- GPS Enabled Device: One of the key features of this device is its in-built GPS functionalities. This feature is usually found in the higher-end devices. The GPS functionality allows you to drop waypoints on your journey in the lake. You can always come back to a school of fish by dropping a waypoint along the way.
- CHIRP SONAR Feature: The CHIRP ClearVU functionality of the device helps it support a wide array of frequencies for effective scanning of large areas. This technology works great in both deep as well as shallow waters. This feature also helps it see the mid as well as high range CHIRP bands with ease.
- Dual-Beam Technology: The dual-beam technology of the device allows you to use it for different cone coverages.
2. Lowrance Hook2 4x Bullet
The Lowrance Hook2 4x Bullet boasts a vibrant and high-end display that can be used for effective fishing experience. It supports the latest CHIRP scanning technology that helps the device search for fish in deep waters. Therefore, several anglers use it to search for fish in oceans and deep-water lakes. The device is extremely powerful and compact. Therefore, it is ideal for anglers who want to purchase a low-cost device without compromising on the fish finding capacity.
The deadly combination of the CHIRP scanner and the down scan imaging features makes it ideal for scanning fishes in a deep-water lake. The compact build of the device helps you carry it on a kayak without disturbing the weight distribution on the vessel.
- Larger 4-inch display
- Inbuilt GPS functionality
- High range SONAR functionality
- Effective for down scan imaging
- Perfect for deep water fishing experience
- Slightly Large Size
- No dedicated SD card slot
- DownScan Overlay Feature: The DownScan overlay feature of the device combines the CHIRP SONAR as well as 2D scanning technologies. This helps the device look for schools of fishes at a deeper level.
- LED Backlit Display: The high-resolution LED-backlit display is ideal for fishing in sunny conditions. One can easily see the high-resolution display even in bright light. The angler can see both the CHIRP SONAR image as well as the DownScan image on the same screen and at the same time using the split screen feature.
- Effective Target Separation: The 480 x 720-pixel screen is great at separating the target effectively for a precise fishing operation. Anglers can easily distinguish the fish and other objects within the water body with this precise fishing feature.
3. Eyoyo Original 30m Professional
Unlike the conventional fish finders on this list, the Eyoyo Professional does not use the SONAR technologies to scan the water body for fishes. Instead, it uses high-tech camera modules to do so. Such technologies were available only to scientists before this device came to the market. The anglers can record the events under the water surface to watch it at a later stage. Therefore, it is one of the most unique and best fish finders under 200$.
The core feature that separates this device from the rest of the fish finders on this list is that it can give you a real-time view of whatever is happening under the water. Therefore, several anglers use this device for ice fishing were having a clear view of the objects under the ice surface is important. Several anglers use this device in conjunction with a conventional SONAR fish finder to improve the accuracy of the fishing process.
- Ideal for ice-fishing purposes
- Excellent clarity in the shallow-depth fishing scenarios
- Excellent 8-10-hour battery life with rechargeable batteries
- Dedicated SD card slot to record and store videos
- Sturdy aluminum carrying case
- Not as accurate as the SONAR technologies
- Ideal for shallow depth fishing only
- Excellent for exploration purposes: The dedicated SD-card slot supports a micro-SD card with up to 4 GB capacity for video storage purposes.
- Large 7-inch color monitor: The large 7-inch monitor of the device helps you see the underwater action vividly. It produces a bright and sharp video image to help you access the real-time happenings under ice and water surface.
- Perfect for clear and shallow water fishing expeditions: The camera on this device works great for clear water expeditions which can give you a clear underwater view. The camera has a limited range, therefore, it cannot see beyond a certain distance. However, one can use lights with the camera to extend the range significantly.
4. Humminbird Helix 5 Sonar G2
The Humminbird Helix 5 Sonar G2 is a simple and intuitive device for the novice anglers. It is not loaded with multiple nifty features. However, the features that it does have are perfect for a novice angler who wants to start catching fish as soon as possible. The large high-resolution screen, rough and tough construction elements, as well as the intuitive user interface, are all designed with the novice angler in mind.
One of the best features of this fish finder device is that it offers the best-in-class target separation. This feature helps you accurately see the quantity of fish in a school. By noticing the quantity beforehand, you can focus on the biggest school of fish and cast a net there to catch more.
- Excellent fish finding range – Up to 1500 feet of depth
- Compact and ergonomic design structure
- Excellent target separation – Down to 2.5 inches
- Rough and tough construction elements
- Intuitive user interface
- No GPS functionality
- Uni-axis movement – Only tilt action, no swivel action
- Dual-beam functionality with excellent reach: This fish finding device has an excellent range and can give you a definitive view of the water body up to 1500 feet of depth. Such range helps you notice the schools that are located at the bottom of the lake floor.
- Ergonomic and intuitive user interface: Novice anglers love the simple and intuitive operator interface of this device. This interface can help the novice anglers use the device to its full potential without any prior training.
- Works well with custom mounting on larger boats: This device is slightly larger compared to the other ones on the list. Therefore, one might require a custom mounting board that fits well on the larger boats. It is not ideal for kayaks and small boats with smaller storage capacity.
5. Deeper Smart Sonar Pro
If you are searching for the best fish finder under 200, you cannot miss out on the Deeper Smart Sonar Pro. This device is a whole new fish finder that encompasses several modern-day features. You can link it to your smartphone or a tablet and use its screen to monitor the feed from the device. The device is packed with various handy scanning features which can help you increase the range as well as the accuracy of the scan.
One of the key features of this device is its long connection range. You can deploy the device from the shore and see the action live on your smartphone/tablet. Therefore, you don’t need to go to the middle of the water body in search of the schools of fishes. Instead, you can use the inbuilt GPS functionality of the device to mark the waypoints through the dense schools from the shore.
- Ideal for ice fishing
- Easy to cast from a small boat or a shore
- Easy to link with a smartphone or a tablet
- A simple and intuitive application that works with iOS and Android devices
- Fast 2-hour recharge time
- Small 6-hour battery life
- Not ideal for lakes with muddy water and weeds
- Download and record data: This device is ideal for exploration as well as direct angling purposes. You can easily record and download the data on a smart device to view it at a later point in time.
- Compact size: The compact size of the device makes it ideal for use on both large boats as well as smaller kayaks.
- Feature-packed interface: The device features multiple handy features like split-screen modes, GPS functionalities, fishing notes, offline maps, social media sharing, weather forecasts, etc. Therefore, this affordable and handy device is ideal for the modern-day angler who wants to use the latest gadgets without burning a hole in his/her pocket.
Which one is the best fish finder under $200?
The Deeper Smart Sonar Pro is the most wholesome fish finding device on the list. The following 5 features make it the ideal choice professional as well as novice anglers.
- Feature-packed Interface: For a price tag of under $200 this fish finding device is loaded with features. It contains some of the most advanced features that are not found in devices that are way above this price range.
- Lightweight: The lightweight and portable features of the device make it ideal for use on both the larger boats as well as smaller kayaks.
- Affordability: The device is one of the most affordable ones under the $200 price range.
- Long Connection Range: The long connection range helps you connect the device to a smartphone or tablet WiFi with ease.
- Modern-Day Functionalities: This device is perfect for novice anglers who wish to adopt the latest technologies into their fishing experience.
All the devices on this list are affordable and serve their purpose well. A few devices are better than the rest in offering more functionalities. However, all of them conduct their primary function of helping you find fish effectively. Most devices are compact and ideal for large boats as well as small kayaks. They can be used for professional as well as personal fishing experience.