Fasciitis pain is quite unpleasant and makes one feel uncomfortable in almost everything they do with their feet. If you have ever suffered from plantar fasciitis pain, then you know that the best way of minimizing it is through having the right footwear. So what does plantar fasciitis entail? What should you look for when buying the proper slippers for plantar fasciitis? What are the best slippers for the same? Get all the answers as we uncover them in this comprehensive review.
Understanding Plantar Fasciitis
To begin with, the plantar fascia is the long ligament on your foot. It runs from your toes to the bottom of your heel bone. It is quite thin, but it is the sole reason behind the balance of your feet. The ligament also offers support to your body weight, meaning it takes in a lot of pressure.
Major Causes of Plantar Fasciitis
Increased pressure on the plantar fascia can result in it becoming inflamed. The reasons behind all this could be;
- Overworking your feet like in the case of long-distance runners
- Excessive body or being overweight. It can also be caused by increased body weight such as for bodybuilders or during pregnancy
- Structural foot problems such as tight Achilles tendons, a high arch, & flat feet can also be the reason behind it. Such a problem can be genetic or injury based
- Bone degeneration and muscle atrophy
- Wrong foot positioning caused by ill-fitting shoes
- Walking or running barefoot on hard surfaces for long
- Poor walking and running technique
Major Symptoms of Plantar Fasciitis
Some of the significant symptoms of the inflammation include;
- Pain whenever you try flexing your foot
- The heel is painful when you try touching it
- Swelling on the foot
- The top of the foot or the heel changes color and becomes reddish
- A tingling or burning sensation around the affected part of the foot
- There is intense pain in the heels after an exercise
The inflammation can also be caused by other reasons and not necessarily the ones mentioned above. In most cases, such symptoms are only displayed on one foot, making the condition easy to detect. However, it might also occur on both feet at the same time (although this happens to very few people).
If the symptoms are not a result of a fresh wound, then it might be essential to seek medical assistance, more so if the symptoms persist for more than a week.
Tackling Plantar Fasciitis
The best and surest way of helping in tackling this condition is by seeking medical assistance. Your doctor would simply prescribe to you some medication to help ease the pain. They might also recommend you to get physical therapy, as this is a surer formula. However, there are a couple of ways you can employ at home to keep the plantar fasciitis pain at bay. Here are a few of them;
- Maintain a healthy weight. Being overweight risks the chances of getting plantar fasciitis
- Try as much as possible to avoid walking on bare feet, especially on rough surfaces
- Change your shoes after a couple of miles covered, if you are a runner
- If you have plantar fasciitis, try out low-impact sports and games. You may want to try out bicycle riding or swimming. Do not engage in sports such as jogging, football, etc.
- Regular ice massage can help relieve the pain
- Regularly stretching out your calf muscles and Achilles’ tendons can help relax the pain
- Put on the necessary doctor-recommended plantar fasciitis shoes
Picking the Right Slippers for Plantar Fasciitis
Whenever you feel like you have the symptoms or are diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, it is necessary if you began considering your shoes and slippers collection. There is no standard slipper that was specifically made for such people. However, there are brands out there who have gone out of their way to ensure people who suffer from such pain are also made comfortable. While searching for the best plantar fasciitis slippers, here are a few factors that these slippers should consider;
- They should have appropriate arch support
- There should be a broad heel base to absorb shock
- Lighter designs are more recommended as you will want to avoid heavy shoes
- Back straps or support is an added advantage
- Slippers with a deep-heel cup
- Appropriately wide toe boxes
- Slippers with contoured and cushioned footbeds are also recommended
- The latest trends in rocking motion technology help to reduce heel stress
Top 5 Best Slippers For Plantar Fasciitis
1. Spenco Women’s Supreme Slide Mule
Spenco does not tire producing some of the best products to the market. The Spenco women’s supreme slide mule is one type of slipper any females suffering from plantar fasciitis can benefit from. This type of slipper is not only comfortable but also stylish; it comes with a variety of color options.
With the pain-relieving capabilities the shoes have, one might not even care much about their colors. Made from leather, this orthotic pair of plantar fasciitis sandals have a synthetic sole, which is pretty durable, making it ideal for both indoor and outdoor use.
The contoured footbed is lined with faux fur for support and is of more use during cold seasons.
- 100% leather with a synthetic sole
- Perfect for winter
- Contoured total support footbed
- Made from durable materials
- A comfortable, warm lining
- It has a supportive footbed
- Easy to put on
- It is on the pricey end
2. Vionic Women’s Gemma Mule Slipper
Nothing beats the feeling of coming back home after a long day’s work and relaxing. However, at times, there comes a sharp, uncomfortable pain beneath your feet — meaning no more relaxation for you. If you want to head somewhere, you will have to deal with the unbearable pain. Sounds familiar? Well, worry no more as Vionic brings you the answer to your concerns.
The Vionic women’s Gemma mule slipper is made for people suffering from plantar fasciitis. These plantar fasciitis sandals are made from textile upper parts, with textile-covered EVA footbeds. The outsole is made of rubber for better shock-absorbing capabilities.
Due to its focus on ensuring better and more comfortable times for people who suffer from the pain of the plantar fascia, this brand has received numerous recognitions. The APMA (American Podiatric Medical Association) seal of acceptance.
The Vio motion support, which is a trademark of all Vionic shoes, is also concealed within this slipper. It can support someone from putting it on to a full-support.
- Comfortable spa-style mule slipper
- Orthaheel technology for advanced support
- The footbed is 100% covered with polyester terrycloth and the upper lining
- Flexible EVA midsole which absorbs shock
- Biomechanically contoured arch support
- A deep heel cup to realign your strides
- The footbed is treated with an odor-resistant, anti-bacterial Eco fresh
- Many users have complained about its sizing, as it comes bigger than expected
3. Vionic Women’s Relax Slipper
Wearing shoes inside the house is not always that fun, as this is the time we would much prefer to let our feet breathe. For a person who has plantar fasciitis, your narrative could change the moment you experience the Vionic women’s relaxed slipper.
Being one of the most-rated products for women with foot pain, it does not fail in delivering. The TPR outsole makes it ideal for indoor wear. The orthotic footbed provides the wearer with the necessary arch support. The easily adjustable Velcro strap makes it easy to adjust the size.
- Made from 100% Polyester
- Textile Covered EVA Footbed
- TPR with Textile Outsole
- Adjustable hook and loop strap
- Orthaheel technology
- Adjustable Velcro strap
- Flexible EVA midsole which absorbs shock
- Comfortable and very lightweight
- Slightly pricey
4. Orthofeet Plantar Fasciitis Men Slippers
A contoured orthotic insole and superior arch support make this product ideal for any man out there suffering from plantar fasciitis. Made from a lightweight sole that boasts an Ergonomic-Stride(TM) design to provide support to your feet. This helps them alleviate pain in the feet, ankles, knees, backs, etc. For extra comfort, your steps are eased even further with padded air cushions.
- Orthotic support
- Biomechanically engineered Ortho-Cushion System
- It has a soft, seam-free lining which is padded with foam
- Has a leather upper
- Ergonomic sole
- Adjustable Velcro straps
- Contoured orthotic footbed.
- Superior arch support
- They might run big
- The soft padding might retain too much heat making your feet hot
5. Vionic Adilyn Women Round Toe Canvas Slipper
Appropriate arch support and a flexible sole are significant ingredients for plantar fasciitis patients. Vionic amylin has this and more to help relieve the pain. Just like any other Vionic pair, this slipper has an orthopedic insole. The shoes are naturally big, and so you will face no problems fitting them on.
- Fairly warm slippers
- Air cushioning pads
- Padded and soft lining
- Superior arch
- Orthopedic insoles
- Suitable for flat feet
- Low price
- Very comfortable
- Sizing is a major concern
Plantar fasciitis can be controlled with the right physical therapy and recommended shoes. Invest in a pair or two of the above-mentioned best slippers for plantar fasciitis, and you will live relieved.