Did you know that smells could trigger memories too, if not better than images? A particular scent can take you to a fond memory, a moment, or sight. It explains why a pleasant-smelling home is more welcoming. Therefore, picking the best air freshener for home is one of the most critical actions in creating a perfect indoor environment. It could help to improve our moods and maintain odorless spaces. An excellent in-house deodorizing product eliminates unpleasant smells, purifies the air, and introduces a lovely scent in the home. So, consider getting a flexible air freshener.
Air fresheners come in different types, including gels, plug-ins, automatic sprays, candles, beads, sprays, and oils, among others. We often use these products in homes and public spaces such as offices, to effectively cover odors. But, the best room air freshener will do more than merely masking bad smells. A quality indoor deodorizer will also remove any lingering odors in your house while purifying the air in the process. Regardless, using an air freshener at home or in an office space can sometimes be tricky. For example, some people are sensitive to specific scents and may not be comfortable if you spray aerosol. Therefore, you should choose the right air freshener with various factors in mind.
Air deodorants come with different chemicals like benzene and propane that neutralize horrible smells, leaving a clean and fresh fragrance behind them. However, watch out for some additives, especially formaldehyde, phthalates, and styrene. They are toxic chemicals, which can provoke asthma, cancer, and allergy symptoms. If someone in the house suffers from these health conditions, you’ll want to get a more environmentally friendly option, which is safer for allergy patients, kids, and pets. In this article, we will help you secure the best of everything, including an air deodorizing, cleanser, and fragrance through the best room freshener fragrances below. Also, we have a detailed shopping guide explaining everything you should know about air fresheners and how to find the perfect product for your needs.
The Ten Best Air Freshener For Home In 2020
A whole-house air freshener sticks out as the economical alternative to gels, scented candles, and other deodorizers because the latter comes with a hefty price tag in the long haul. The best air freshener for home is similar to using your favorite body cologne, but covering your entire home with an added dose of freshness. Take your pick from our list of top ten interior deodorizing brands.
1. Febreze Plug-in Air Freshener
|Scent||Linen and Sky|
|Package size||14.6 ounces|
Do more than masking bad odors in your home but clean them away with Febreze Plug-in Air Freshener’s OdorClear Technology.
Features of Febreze Plug-in Air Freshener
- Up to 1200 hours of fresh fragrance with one refill on low setting
- Refills work with all Febreze plug warmer versions
- OdorClear Technology
- Two alternating scents
2. Febreze ONE Fabric and Air Freshener
|Scent||Bamboo and Orchid|
If you want an indoor deodorizer that doesn’t pack aerosol or heavy fragrances, then consider getting the Febreze ONE Fabric and Air Freshener.
Features of Febreze ONE Fabric and Air Freshener
- Use on fabrics and air
- Suitable for any room
- Comes with two mist nozzles
- Three scent refills
3. Citrus Magic Natural Odor Eliminating Air Freshener
Get the Citrus Magic three-pack natural odor eliminator your senses with a fresh orange fragrance.
Features of Citrus Magic Air Freshener
- 100% natural citrus oil ingredients
- Suitable for office, bathroom, living room, and bedroom
- Up to four times longer fragrance
- Ergonomic design
- Available in three count
4. Febreze Wax Melts Air Freshener
|Scent||Hawaiian Aloha, Gain Original, Fresh-Pressed Apple, and Moonlight Breeze|
Don’t just hide odors but purify the air and invite a light, fresh fragrance for hours with Febreze Wax Melts Air Freshener. The plug-in air freshener warms and melts wax to release a lovely bouquet of freshness in your spaces.
Features of Febreze Wax Melts Air Freshener
- Compatible with different warmers, including tea light, light bulb, and electric warmer
- Available in four-packs of six counts each
- Air cleaner and odor eliminator
- Uses wax melt warmer
- Suitable for any room
5. Febreze Air Freshener and Odor Spray
|Scent||Island Fresh and Gain Original|
Introduce the Odor Clear technology in your home with Febreze AIR and clean away all foul odors from your spaces.
Features of Febreze Air Freshener and Odor Spray
- OdorClear technology
- Available in pack
- Light, non-overpowering fragrance
- Suitable in any room
6. Air Wick Essential Mist Air Freshener
|Scent||Lavender and Almond Blossom|
|Package size||11 ounces|
If you are in the market for an automatic air freshener, then consider getting this Air Wick Essential Mist air freshener. The device comes with an automatic timer that runs for eight hours once you switch on unless you turn off.
Features of Air Wick Essential Mist
- Three-mode fragrance intensity settings
- Available in three-count
- Comes with the Essential oil diffuser refill
- Uses three AA batteries
- Up to 45 days fresh fragrance on low setting
- Batteries can last up to 135 days on low setting
7. Febreze Unstoppables Air Freshener
|Scent||Fresh, Shimmer, and Lush|
|Package size||10.1 ounces|
Fill the spaces in your home with the stately feel of unstoppables scented oils from Febreze Unstoppables electric air freshener.
Features of Febreze Unstoppables Air Freshener
- Available in a variety of scents, including Lush, Shimmer, and Fresh
- Comes in a pluggable scented oil refill
- Long-lasting freshness in your spaces
- Suitable for any room
8. Air Wick Pure Freshmatic Air Freshener
|Scent||Lavender and Chamomile|
|Package size||5.89 Ounce|
Air Wick Pure Freshmatic is one of the best air freshener for office, home, and any other spaces that need continuous filling with a fresh fragrance.
Features of Air Wick Pure Freshmatic Air Freshener
- Odor neutralizer
- Up to sixty days’ continuous fragrance per refill on low setting
- Three settings for your preferred fragrance level
- Suitable for any room
- Natural, essential oils fragrance diffusion
- Angled actuator delivers a wide and elevated scent dispersion
- Battery-operated automatic spray
9. Lysol Neutra Air Sanitizing Spray
Very few products can beat Lysol Neutra’s technology as the best air freshener for home in 2020. Unlike regular indoor deodorizers that mask smells temporarily, Lysol NEUTRA AIR Sanitizing Spray will kill the odor-causing bacteria at their source.
Features of Lysol Neutra Air Sanitizing Spray
- Odor eliminator
- Kills bacteria that causes foul smell
- Surface disinfectant
- Suitable for any room and odors
10. Aera Smart Fragrance Electric Diffuser
|Scent||White tea, Bamboo wood, Lavender|
|Package size||1.44 pounds|
The Aera Smart Fragrance Electric Diffuser not only makes your home smell good but also guarantees consistency and safety through its app-controlled home fragrance.
Features of Aera Smart Fragrance Electric Diffuser
- App-controlled home scent diffuser
- No-fade fragrance
- Works with Alexa and smartphones
- Up to 50X smaller fragrance droplets
- Comes with surround-scent technology
- Suitable for any room
- Adjustable scent intensity
- 100% natural and safe
- Portable design
- Long-lasting fragrance, up to eight hundred hours per capsule on low setting
That’s about it concerning our list of the best air freshener for home in 2020. Go through the list to see how the ten indoor deodorants stack up and pick one that suits your needs. However, we are still going to help you figure out how to choose the most suitable interior air freshener, just in case our reviews don’t match your criteria.
- Top 10 Best Tile Floor Cleaning Machines For a Sparkling Home
- Top 7 Best Mop for Vinyl Plank Floors
- The 10 Best Robot Vacuum for Pet Hair and Hardwood Floors
Shopping Guide: Everything To Know About The Best Air Freshener For Home
Now that you know what is in the market and the most popular brands, you can start looking into what they offer. You may have noticed that newer models are more sophisticated and will go beyond hiding odors in the house. For that reason, it is time to start thinking about which ones will work best in your home. We hope the following section helps you to narrow down your options.
What is an indoor deodorizer or air freshener?
You should know what distinguishes an air freshener from other products to find the right one for your spaces. An air freshener is a product that releases a pleasant scent in our rooms. It can come in different styles and types, including models for cars, offices, and wardrobes. Home and office deodorizers can use a wide range of aromas and ingredients to create their smell profiles. The fragrances cause your home to smell wonderful.
Where To Place The Air Freshener
Consider placing the air freshener as close to the center of your room as you can to get the best results. In doing so, the scent spreads out evenly to cover the whole room. You may want to leave the interior deodorant running for shorter or longer duration, depending on the effect you want.
It makes sense to get scents that everyone enjoys, especially when placing them in common areas. If you are using it in the living room, consider keeping it some distance from sitting areas or the couch, so it doesn’t overpower you. You’ll also want to have it a reasonable range from the dining area since strong scents tend not to mix well with food. Make sure it is a safe distance from your bed when using it in the bedroom and switch it off as you go to sleep.
It is best to keep air fresheners out of reach of children and pets. Their curiosity might draw them to the product, and they could eat things they should not.
What are the different varieties of air fresheners?
Air fresheners often come in two broad categories, based on their ingredients;
- Natural air fresheners: They use a blend of alcohol or a combination of concentrated, natural oils to create a soft and pleasant aroma.
- Artificial or chemical air fresheners: They often come from petroleum products such as dichlorobenzene and aerosols. You must watch out for the toxic and harmful effects that come with these ingredients.
How do air fresheners work?
You can also separate air fresheners based on how they diffuse scents. It is vital to keep this in mind because different styles have different effects, as you will see in the chart below;
|Spray||☞ Gives a pleasant scent right away
☞ Can be water-based or not
☞ Make sure you are not harming plants, people, animals, or food when using the product
|Burners||☞ Offer a nicer effect compared to most other models
☞ Different options come with different scents and designs
|Candles||☞ Available in a variety of options, including faint fragrances
☞ Often budget-friendly
|Electric||☞ Fit into power sockets, and are available in air freshener and refill packs
☞ Produce a balanced aroma throughout the room with little energy use
|Battery||☞ Similar to electric deodorizers, but use batteries for power
☞ Include a built-in aerosol for spraying
|Stick Scents||☞ The simplest method to create a pleasant-smelling environment
☞ Include a container with liquid air freshener and bamboo sticks for absorbing and diffusing the fragrance
☞ Containers are refillable when empty
What scents suit each room?
Even though different aromas work best for different situations and rooms, everyone has a unique taste. Regardless, here are expert recommendations on where to use each scent;
- The living room: Your living area should feel warm and welcoming. Using scents such as vanilla and wood may give the right aesthetic. Lavender and mint are also excellent choices for the living room.
- The kitchen: You’ll want to have aromas that remind you of the food in the kitchen area, but they shouldn’t be too overpowering. Cinnamon, chocolate, and citrus are sweet to smell when walking into the kitchen. Besides, lavender and mint can work in this area.
- The bathroom: Bathrooms should smell fresh and clean. Marine, jasmine, pine, and thyme are classic scents for the bathroom. Citrus fruits also tend to give a nice touch in the shower room.
- The bedroom: You’ll want the bedroom to smell relaxing and make you feel like resting or sleeping. Jasmine, wood, or lavender are perfect for bedrooms. However, fruit-aromas are an excellent choice in a child’s bedroom.
- Office or study: If you need a scent to improve concentration, more so in a home office, consider fragrances like lemon, tangerine, or orange. The scents are useful for relieving stress and can improve your concentration.
The Bottom Line
The right air freshener for home is an excellent way to boost the ambiance and feel of your house, both for you and for your guests. It is always relaxing to enter a nice-smelling room. Room deodorizers can help to hide awful odors in our homes. And if you choose the best air freshener for home, it could purify the air and kill odor-causing germs as well. Also, air fresheners are suitable for adding character to your rooms and the whole house.
There are different products to choose from based on functions, refill options, their scents, as well as the intensity of fragrances. Keep all these details of our buying guide in mind when shopping, and you will find the right products to match your lifestyle, specific rooms, or the entire home. Also, do not forget about the words of caution.