Adding a fire pit is a perfect way to provide warmth while showcasing your creativity and passion. Today, you can choose from installing stylish wood burning fire pits to an easy to install and use a realistic electric fireplace, depending on your budget and personal preferences. A wood-burning fire pit table is perfect for people with the ability to modify their home as it requires workmanship while the electric fireplaces are best for those who need a portable solution. Most electric fireplaces will heat a room of between 400 and 1000 square feet, but it is also possible to find commercial electric fireplaces that can heat bigger spaces.
If your home does not have a chimney or a vent, the electric fireplaces can serve the purpose. However, if you are looking for an alternative to a wood burning fire pit table that you can use while camping, you look for a propane fire pit table. The propane fire pits are safe and efficient to use as they do not send sparks, can be instantly turned off and they cool off quickly. The propane fire pits offer the benefits of an outdoor wood fire pit without the smell and smoke. Nevertheless, it is worth noting that not even the propane or electric fireplaces can match the aesthetic appeal of a wood-burning fire pit table.
Why Choose Wood Burning Fire Pits?
- The wood fires offer continuous heat that can last for hours making them ideal for gatherings and parties
- Wood is a natural, renewable source of energy, which makes it a better organic alternative to gas
- They offer an authentic, traditional ambiance that makes them an engaging focal point in social gatherings
- They are perfect extensions of your kitchen for cooking and roasting among others
Review of the Best 10 Wood Burning Fire Pits in 2020
1. Sun Joe SJFP35-STN Wood Burning Fire Pit
- Ideal outdoor centerpiece for warmth and enjoyment
- Durable cast stone base adds a sophisticated touch to any outdoor décor
- Large 29 in. (73.8 cm) fire bowl accommodates hardwood logs up to 21.5 in. (54.6 cm) long
- Mosquito-safe tip: add sage, Lemon balm, or Citronella leaves to your fire pit to help repel mosquitos
- No wood burning fire pits should be used on a wood deck
This fire pit by Sun Joe is a perfect outdoor centerpiece for warmth and enjoyment. It comes with a large 29.5-inch fire bowl that reduces the frequency of adding logs to keep the fire burning. The fire pit can withstand the heat of up to 1,112 degrees Frankhert, giving you the freedom to determine the perfect amount of fire necessary to keep you warm. The fire bowl can hold firewood of up to 21.5-inches long. It also comes with a wire mesh screen that improves your fire pit experience by keeping you safe from flying sparks. The screen has a 24-inch hook that lets you remove the screen effortlessly and safely while the fire is burning to adjust or add logs as necessary. It further comes with a durable cast stone base that is also appealing for a sophisticated outdoor décor.
2. Hiland FT-51133D Wood Burning Square Table Firepit
- Steel construction with an antique finish
- Domed mesh screen
- Wood grate
- Slate tiled
- Includes 18" Fire poker
- Fire bowl
- 36"X 36", 22" High
Hiland wood burning fire pit will not only help you add warmth to your home, but it will also help create an ambiance to your backyard. It has a sturdy steel design with a lovely antique black finish that makes it a striking focal point. The fire pit well thought of the square shape, and a slate fire table complements any outdoor décor. The unit is also highly portable, making it possible to start a party anywhere in your garden irrespective of the weather. It has a deep bowl that allows it to accommodate more logs for a bigger fire. It further comes with a useful easy to lift mesh spark guard, enabling you to enjoy the warmth safely. It has a one year warranty that protects your investment against the manufacturer defect.
3. Landmann 26364 Savannah Garden Light Fire Pit
- Large 23-1/2-Inch Fire Bowl
- Sturdy steel construction designed for easy assembly
- Spark screen and poker included
- Provides 360 degree viewing of the fire
- Attractive, decorative cutouts on fire box create an incredible ambience at night
Functionality and simplicity are the terms that best describe the Landmann Savannah Garden fire pit. It is built to fit both large and small backyards with a sense of satisfaction. It features a deep fire bowl that has the capacity to contain adequate firewood to keep your friends and family warm for hours. The unit has a quality steel construction that can withstand the heat and harsh outdoor elements for enhanced durability. It has a charming black sand paint and matte black finish that allows it to enhance any outdoor décor. The fire pit offers 360 viewing degrees of the fire for a more intrinsic fire pit social gathering experience. A spark guard lets you enjoy an amazing fire experience without worrying about the dangerous sparks.
4. Fire Sense 60857 Roman Fire Pit
- 35" high temperature antique bronze steel fire bowl with hammered lip
- Brushed painted steel legs
- One-piece mesh spark screen with high temperature paint
- Screen lift tool and wood grate included
- Vinyl cover NOT included
Although the purpose of a fire pit is to offer warmth, the Fire Sense Roman fire pit goes the extra mile to ensure that you stay warm in style. It is built to help you extend your outdoor living time throughout the year in comfort and style. It comes with a large 35-inch diameter fire bowl that enables it to accommodate adequate logs to keep your family and friends warm for hours. Featuring a high-temperature traditional steel bowl with painted steel legs and a hammered lip, the fire pit adds a touch of class and style to your backyard. It comes with a wood grate, enabling you to place logs quickly and easily. The grate is also removable, making it easy to clean the fire pit. It also helps to improve airflow by adding an elevation to your logs. The Roman fire pit further comes with a mesh fire screen that keeps sparks and flames contained for safe enjoyment. It also comes with a screen lift tool that helps you add logs while keeping your hands safe.
5. Best Choice Products Hex-Shaped Steel Pit
- RUSTIC DECORATION: Hexagonal steel fire pit sports a distressed bronze finish and combines a tight steel mesh with decorative lattice for a unique addition to your outdoor decor
- WOOD FIRE PIT: Steel risers at the base of the pit elevate the logs and promote airflow as you build a natural wood fire
- VERSATILE: A simple, but effective way to bring comfortable warmth to your patio, landing, porch, or poolside. (NOTE: Avoid using this fire pit on or near any wooden structures)
- BUILT TO LAST: Light, yet durable double-steel construction makes this fire pit a long-lasting outdoor heating solution
- FLAME-RETARDANT SPARK GUARD: Mesh lid contains ashes, debris, and sparks for a safe and clean outdoor space; OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 24"(L) x 24"(W) x 25"(H)
The Hex-shaped steel fire pit by Best Choice Products is an attractive accessory to any backyard. The distressed bronze finish, hex-shaped design, and lattice detailing add a touch of beauty to any poolside, backyard, or deck. It is a perfect addition for individuals who would like to add a sense of ancient feel to their yard. It has a 24-inch steel bowl that is wide and deep enough to accommodate a large amount of firewood to keep your family and friends warm all night. It is built to last for years without being overly bulky. A lightweight and durable steel design makes the fire pit a long-lasting solution that will keep your family warm for many years. The included flame-retardant spark guard keeps you safe and your garden clean by containing sparks, debris, and ashes for a better outdoor experience.
6. Landmann 28345 Big Sky Stars and Moons Fire Pit
- Big sky firepit with stars and moons design cutouts and black finish
- Sturdy steel construction with black finish
- Includes cooking grate and spark screen with poker
- Safety ring for easy transport
- Large 23-1/2-inch fire bowl
With a 12.5-inch deep and 24-inch wide fire bowl, the fire pit is a perfect addition for any backyard, whether big or small. The bowl is large enough to keep your family and relatives for hours without the need to keep adding logs every often. The unit has a sturdy steel construction with three legs, which makes it a durable addition for any garden. It combines beauty and functionality with the moon and stars cut-outs, enhancing the appeal while also improving the airflow circulation. The fire pit comes with a circular handle that functions as a safety ring enabling easy and safe transportation. It further comes with a mesh guard that lets you enjoy the fire without worrying about the sparks.
7. Pleasant Heart Sunderland Deep Round Bowl Fire Pit
The Hearth Sunderland deep bowl fire pit comes with a 30-inch wide and 12-inch deep bowl that offers a large wood capacity for a more robust fire perfect for a stylish entertainment piece. A bronze finish glistens at the reflection of the flame adding beauty to your focal point. The stylish finish not only helps to warm your garden, but it also adds to the night spectacle. It is coated with high-temperature paint that helps to improve the durability of the fire pit. It comes with a functional chrome-plated cooking grid that you can use to barbecue or roast a seasoned steak. It further comes with a removable mesh cover that protects your garden from sparks. It has a circular system that helps to raise logs for enhanced airflow that makes the fire grow bigger and last longer.
8. Outsunny Square 32-Inch Outdoor Backyard Patio Metal Fire Pit
- This beautiful square fire pit is an ideal accessory for your backyard or patio creating a safe and controlled place to enjoy a campfire.
- The fire pit features a black metal frame and fire bowl with stylish faux-rock metal decorative panels around the border.
- Safety mesh screen lid and poker included.
- Offers 360 degree view of fire.
- Overall Dimensions: 31.9"L x 31.9"W x 17"H
Stylish and functionality are the main elements of the Outsunny Square metal fire pit. The unit has a charming design that gives you a 360-degree sight of the fire, enabling you to enjoy the fire irrespective of where you sit. It has a 32-inch fire bowl that offers adequate accommodation of firewood that will keep your friends and relatives warm for hours. A protective spark screen allows your guests to sit close to the fire without worrying about ash or sparks jumping out.
9. Sunnydaze Outdoor Fire Pit Bowl
- LARGE SIZE: Perfect to fit many people around for a bonfire in the patio, yard, deck, porch, lawn, or garden; Overall 30 inch diameter firebowl x 24 inch tall with spark screen (15 inch tall without), weighs 23 pounds; Base is 6 inch tall with 20 inch diameter; Lip is 0.25 inches thick; Steel is 2 mm thick
- HEAVY DUTY AND RUST RESISTANT: Deep metal firepit bowl is made from durable thick steel and black high-temperature paint finish for heat and rust resistance; Portable handles allow the fireplace to be moved anywhere and has decorative brass-colored highlights that complements any outside style
- FIRE SAFETY: Outdoor fire pit set includes mesh spark screen protector for added safety from flying sparks, poker tool to easily control the flames or logs in the fire, and wood grate for better air flow; All the accessories needed to create cozy memories in the backyard or while camping
- EASY TO SET UP: Quick and easy assembly allows this fire pit to be assembled in no time; Simple connect the base to the fire bowl and you are ready to light up the night
- 1 YEAR WARRANTY: Sunnydaze Decor backs its products with a 1-year manufacturer's warranty for worry-free purchasing
If you are always hosting many people for a night out parties and gatherings, you need a large sized fire pit like this by Sunnydaze Outdoor fire pit bowl. With a fire bowl with a width of 30-inch and a height of 15-inch, the unit offers adequate room to hold firewood that will keep your family warm throughout the night. The bowl is made from thick steel and has a black high-temperature paint finish ensuring that it is not only long-lasting, but it is also heat and rust resistance. The fire pit comes with portable handles enabling you to move it to any area in your patio, deck, lawn, or porch. The unit further comes with a mesh screen protector for protection against sparks and a poker tool for easier flame and logs control. It also comes with a wood grate for better airflow.
10. Sunnydaze Northland Outdoor Fire Pit
- LARGE SIZE: Perfect to fit many people around for a bonfire in the patio, yard or garden; Overall 36 inches long x 27 inches wide x 25 inches tall, weighs 30 pounds; Grate dimensions: 19.5" L x 11.75" W
- PERFECT FOR BBQ COOKING: Fire pit grill works great for barbecue cookouts out on the lawn; Fireplace has a hinged door on the mesh screen to easily access burning logs, the grilling grate, or to add firewood; Tubular metal rail encircles the brazier, making it easily portable to bring with camping
- HEAVY DUTY AND RUST RESISTANT: Firepit is made from durable thick steel construction and features a black high temperature paint finish for resistance to heat and rust; Fits any outside decor theme so you can light up the night in the backyard or enjoy cozy memories at the campground
- FULL GRILL SET INCLUDED: Includes durable rectangular chrome cooking grate for serving food, spark screen for added safety from flying sparks, poker tool to easily control the flame, and top quality waterproof/weather resistant cover
- 1 YEAR WARRANTY: Sunnydaze Decor backs its products with a 1-year manufacturer's warranty for worry-free purchasing
This Sunnydaze Northland Outdoor fire pit is perfect when you are planning for a family reunion or a large gathering around a bonfire in your garden. It has an overly long fire bowl measuring 36-inches wide and 25 inches tall, offering adequate space for more logs. It is perfect if you are looking to warm a large space as more logs mean bigger fire flames. It features a fire pit grill that is excellent for barbecue cookouts. The unit has a hinged door on the mesh screen for easy access. It also has a tubular metal rail that encircles the unit for easier portability. It is also rust-resistant for increased durability.
Things To Consider When Buying Wood Burning Fire Pits
You must decide the size that is right for your needs before you can start shopping. You will also need to make a decision on whether you need a highly portable or a permanent outdoor wood fire pit. The units come in various sizes, designs, and functions, giving you an endless list of top quality fire pits. Large fire pits accommodate more wood creating a bigger flame. They also tend to be bulkier than smaller fire pits. A mid-size patio table with a fire pit is best suited for normal use as they offer more convenience without being bulky. The smaller fire pits are good if you are looking for a portable unit that you can use when camping.
The material of the fire pit is the most critical component when choosing the best unit as it determines durability. You should also consider the workmanship and components of the fire pit. The common materials you will find include steel, tile, stone, copper, cast iron, and stainless steel. Stainless steel is the best material as it does not rust, but other materials can be painted to avoid rusting.
What do you intend to do with the fire pit? While some only offer warmth, others are multi-purpose units that offer more than just heating. If you love grilling your food outdoors, you should look for a fire pit that doubles up as a grill. You should look for a unit with a cooking grate if you love the food prepared over an open flame. If you need more flexibility, you should consider a patio table with a fire pit. Firepit tables function in multiple ways and come in different sizes. However, you should always avoid a fire pit on wood deck.
4. Extra Features
You must make sure that the fire pit has safety features like safe handles and a screen protector to keep your garden and guests safe. You should also make sure that it is easier and safe to add logs. It is also helpful to look for an artistic design that will complement your outdoor furniture.
When buying a fire pit, you must consider the safety and durability. The wood burning fire pits in this article are of high quality and offer the best value. They are durable and come with useful screen protectors for enhanced safety. Some of the units offer a 360-degree view of the fire, giving you a captivating bonfire experience.